2001 mercedes Sprinter 2.2ltr

5425, May 30, 12:14am
Has anyone every has any experiences with this model of ex rental motorhome

gadgetman, Sep 27, 11:53pm

intrade, Sep 27, 11:58pm
na but probably a commonrail diesel read my thread i just madeabout diesel once again . I keep telling this since the last 8 years.

floscey, Sep 28, 12:43am
They go very well and the tiptronic box makes them very easy to drive. I found i was getting held up by dodgy 4wd diesels on the hills and the camper we had was a 6 berth . Only problem we had was the vaucaum modulator thingy for the turbo/transmissionbuggered out . Cost $600 bucks to fix .Good start to a holiday . Ours was a Maui ex rental.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 28, 9:32am
Firstly there is no 2.2 its either a 2.1 or a 2.3. Its VERY important to note exactly which engine it has as the performance difference is huge. The 2.1 comes in several output options so you would want to note the actual kw of that engine.

The Mercedes is an excellent vehicle and it has the common rail engines which are what you want.

However, be wary of all ex rental van's regardless of make. In particular be aware that transmissions (especially manual and automated manual) are often horribly abused by moron's and can be due for an expensive clutch/flywheel replacement.

Also. don't abuse it yourself. That means no second gear takeoffs ever. and yes I know it has enough power to do it. No slipping the clutch when backing and turning, just let it right out with the engine idling to go slow. When waiting at intersections etc put the transmission in neutral. Lastly. and this should be obvious, don't ever hold the vehicle on a hill by slipping the clutch, that includes automated manuals.

With campervans of that era there are really three important things you want to look for.

1. That it isn't a Transit or something Japanese. (Basically stick to Mercedes/VW/Fiat)

2. That it has a common rail engine.

3. That the clutch/flywheel is in good shape.