Handbrake binding?

kaymay88, May 21, 5:37am
98 misti legnum wagon.
Git a call yesterday from the other half.
'when I try to drive off after being parked, the car doesnt want to go, then it makes kind of a *ping* noise and it goes. it feels like the handbrake is still on or something'

Did it today when she picked me up. I got into the drivers seat, and yep, I think its the handbrake binding, we were stopped on a hill, I took car out of gear, foot off the brakes, handbrake off, car didnt go anywhere - it should have rolled away fairly quickly.

does this sound like a 'whip the caliper off and clean' kinda job, or am I gunna have to much around with master cylinders!

Im great with bikes but i find cars a tad boring, so dont really know what Im into here.

any advice appreciated

mm12345, May 21, 6:25am
Yeah it probably is just binding, rusty sliders etc.
It should be relatively easy to fix, but the piston may need to be turned to push it in, rather than compress it - hopefully someone with Mitsu experience can chip in with what's needed.If you go about it the wrong way then you might be stuck unable to get the caliper back on the disk, and unable to drive it safely to someone who can get you out of the pickle you got yourself in.

n3d4sp3d, May 21, 6:35am
legnums have inboard handbake shoes the caliper does the hydraulic brakes. remove the caliper and discs clean, ajust and apply anti sieze to pivot points. reassemble and check that cables are not siezed and all should be good

mm12345, May 21, 6:41am
Because it's that type, can the OP assume that it's not got screw-in pistons, so shouldn't be a potential can of worms!

kaymay88, May 27, 12:12am
thanks for the replies people, Im going to take a look at this this afternoon, Ive been away for work all week.
oh, any reason I cant use ordinary degreaser to give stuff a clean up!

mugenb20b, May 27, 12:19am
Ordinary degreaser *may* leave a residue. Brake cleaner leaves everything dry.

kaymay88, May 29, 10:06am
how exactly do I get into the inboard shoes!

mugenb20b, May 29, 10:31am
Brake calliper off completely, disc rotor off. A drum is a part of the rotor, which is the centre part.

clark20, May 29, 10:31am
Did these have the hillstart feature!