When do you know when 2 replace cambelt?

Page 1 / 2
dcarter1, May 28, 9:44am
unsure last time it was done! anyway of knowing! and does it matter if you dont have turbo timer if you let car idle b4 you stop it!

jasongroves, May 28, 9:51am
1st off.what is the vehicle in question!
2nd.if the vehicle in question did not come with a timer from factory, it most likely does not require one.

carrot3, May 28, 9:53am
how many k's the car done! and if you idle the car before you shut it off you don't need a turbo timer

jasongroves, May 28, 10:16am
Why the need to have a timer or idle the car at all! Genuine question as I have never seen the need.

dcarter1, May 28, 10:24am
1997 subaru legacy gtb210090 and unsure if it did as not bought from new most cars state cam belt change dont they! i dont go hard in it any ways i just leave it idle 4 20secs b4 i turn it off

dcarter1, May 28, 10:25am
you need to cool turbo down do you not!

ninja_man, May 28, 10:26am
yeah, after a thrashing the car its good to let it idle for a few mins to let it cool down

dcarter1, May 28, 10:27am
so if not thrashd no need!

sw20, May 28, 10:30am
Turbo timers are a myth. Just turn it off. Just take it easy on the last two minutes before you get home.

dcarter1, May 28, 10:33am
yeah thought as much best 2 ask the pros

jasongroves, May 28, 10:44am
Cam belt every 4 years or 100,000Km, whichever comes first.
Budget up to $1200 including seals, pump etc.
A quick question for the timer lovers.
When do your radiator fans come on most frequently!
When you are driving the vehicle!
Or when you are stopped with the car idling!
The fans come on to assist cooling when the vehicles cooling system is getting too hot for the flow of water through it to cope on its own right!
So the majority of the engine components get hottest when! (If not racing or in extreme conditions.)

dcarter1, May 28, 10:52am
shit $1200 really thats alot for that i reacon and yeah guess so thanks^^^

snoopy221, May 28, 10:56am
1200would be the outside K
Biggest thing with yours is.
MAKE DAMN BLARDY SURE IF YA GET A BELT DONE.
THAT THE OIL PUMP *O*RING IS REPLACED AT THAT MILEAGE.

Incedentaly that is actually one of the better **roos** and a damn respectable mileage nowadays.

snoopy221, May 28, 10:58am
1997 subaru legacy gtb 210090wagon!

-roadkill-, May 28, 10:58am
Your cooling fans would come on more frequently when engine is idling wouldn't they, as air flow from a moving vehicle would be much more than a still car, enabling it to keep at it's running temperature. Majority of engine components getting warmer when!.racing.what kind of racing!, assuming you revv how high! Whats your extreme conditions!

andrea_w, May 28, 10:59am
Yep, spot on! Someone has made a LOT of money from that gimmick!
My car has a turbo, I've got 2 turbo timers sitting at home and I've got no intention of ever fitting one of them to my car.

movnon, May 28, 11:09am
Yeah but.depends how hard the engine is working while vehicle is moving, the more energy being produced means the engine would get hotter than at idle, just air flow wouldnt be sufficient that is why fans are needed.

snoopy221, May 28, 11:15am
Irrelevant a hard spooled hot turbo can cook the bearing lubricating oil in it if shut down when fully spooled an wrkn hard.
[About 220 k';s + on the gtb mentioned]
K

dcarter1, May 28, 11:19am
yeah its a station wagon and so theres no way of knwing when it was last dne! so be best 2 do it soon then !

snoopy221, May 28, 11:24am
Jest get sm1 who is qualifiedand experienced to pull the covers off the belt area and have a good look-K

dcarter1, May 28, 11:28am
sweet bro thanks will do so any1 in southland area that knows what they are doing any help would be gud thanks and not gonna rip me off haha

snoopy221, May 28, 11:32am
gd fulla in ch chc 4 sure.
as ta invers repost titled morrisman-who knows subarus in invers

dcarter1, May 28, 11:36am
thank's bro . who's the good fella in chch

snoopy221, May 28, 11:40am
zephyrheaven
neil stuart auto.
in chc ch
E knows is roos.

NZTools, May 28, 6:56pm
The turbo is water cooled. Unless you have been absolutely caning it, just turn it off, as it wasnt hot in the first place. If anything, a water cooled turbo will warm up if you idle it.