Does W.O.F make your car safer to drive?

Page 2 / 3
ema1, May 27, 2:38am
The car no matter the condition even if it's actually tip top, ultimately it's the driver that determines the safety of the vehicle.full stop!
A vehicle is only as safe as it's driver , doesn't matter make ,model or whatever if the driver isn't safe the vehicle won't be either.

eagles9999, May 27, 3:07am
But shouldnt you have seen the wire protruding from the tyres yourself!

n1smo_gtir, May 27, 3:26am
nope, couldn't see it by looking from the front or the side of car, it was only when the wof guy turn the steering wheel hard left then i saw it. it was pretty much in the inner corner.if i had seen that before wof. i would have not waited.if you stood right in front of drivers side front tire you'd see there's no signs of anything wrong, i even took closer look for bald patches but 75% had meat above 1.5mm line, never the less it came at good time this wof. will def pay more attention now i know what to look for. ieven cut n polished my headlight lens, checked to make sure all my lights are working correctly etc.

helsbels2, May 27, 4:49am
But if it is yearly the test will be stricter so wpon't make a difference instead of tyre tread min now it will be increased to allow for the fact it has to last another year not just 6 months. Wofs arent the revenue gatherers. IMO rego is I currently pay rego for alot of cars but at any one time I can't drive them all. NZ also has statistically older vehicles than other countries. How many 1980's or 90's cars are driving around japan!

tonyrockyhorror, May 27, 4:54am
Completely wrong. Tread depth, and every other single aspect of the WoF inspection, is only for the instant in time that the vehicle is inspected. They do not say "that tyre will last another 6 months - here's your WoF" or "that tyre won't last another 6 months - no WoF for you!" because they have absolutely no way of knowing if you're going to do 40000km in it or 10km in the next 6 months.

pollymay, May 27, 5:01am
Some of the logic in this thread makes my head hurt. I'm going to get a WOF, then do a whopping great burnout outside the station then go in and demand compensation for saying my tyres were a pass 10 minutes ago because clearly they are worn out.

What it comes down to is the car to an acceptable standard! Yes or no, there is no accounting for what may happen, it's either safe for use or it isn't. To look at something "that may wear out" as a failure you might as well fail it on every balljoint, tyre, CV joint and oil seal on the car that is going to fail at some point between 1km and 1,000,000kms

helsbels2, May 27, 5:04am
true but I still believe that if the test is yearly it will be a lot stricter and also cover more things therefore take mechanic longer to do therefore charge more so therefore no better off.

pollymay, May 27, 5:13am
What else are they going to check! The main safety items from engine mounts to balljoints and bushings are all checked. Leaking struts, collapsed springs, structural rust. I check my own racecars regularly, it doesn't take any longer to check things because you are being more stringent, you simply change your standard of what's acceptable, it shouldn't take longer because that would mean there are currently safety items being left unchecked which isn't true. I don't stare at my struts twice as long then check twice as hard then expect them to last twice as long.

Besides it's still either good or it's not, you don't pass a leaking shock because "it's not broken enough" to fail yet.

cjdnzl, May 27, 5:20am
The biggest problem is that wofs are time-based.They should be mileage-based.My wife does only around 800-odd k's between warrants in her Primera, but a truck which does daily Auckland - Wellington runs puts on over 1,000 k's per day, that's 180,000 k's between cofs - that's certificate of fitness.Likewise, commercial travellers put on 50,000 - 60,000 k's in six months.
RUC's are mileage-based as well.I think wofs should be about 20,000 - 25,000 k's between checks.Will they do it!don't hold your breath.

smac, May 27, 5:26am
Think about what you are saying. You're saying because it's 12 months not 6 it will be stricter. The only possible reason I can think of is you are thinking "because we won't get to check it for another 12 months".

SO you're saying that because of the time frame they will introduce things that don't EVER get checked now. It's not like they check those 'stricter' things every second WoF now.It's just completely illogical.

Also, vehicle under 6 years get 12 months now, but their test is no stricter.

clanky, May 27, 5:37am
Don't forget, the most dangerous part of a car is the nut that holds the steering wheel!

no1holdenfan, May 27, 7:50am
After living in Brisbane for the last year and a half, I support this system. Driving around, you're unlikely to see a vehicle that is not maintained. In NZ, the WOF system creates a minimum standard that vehicles should be maintained too. People only upkeep their vehicles, so it passes the test at that point in time. Obviously not everyone does the above, but the mentality needs to change. I agree the system needs to improve, to curb the number of unsafe vehicles on the road.

a18a, May 27, 8:34am
that's agood one. I'll have to remember it.

martin11, May 28, 3:19am
Only if the are not certified

martin11, May 28, 3:22am
You must be blind and deaf to not feel when you were driving that the car was not handling properly . and wires sticking out must have make a funny noise

phillip.weston, May 28, 3:36am
Not true - VIC and NSW require an annual inspection in order to obtain rego while QLD requires an inspection every time a car changes hands. Unsure about SA, WA, NT and TAS though.

bellky, May 28, 3:45am
By having WOFs less often! Or how exactly!

smac, May 28, 3:52am
Lots of people seem VERY concerned about all these unsafe vehicles running around the place. Hell you'd think somebody's wheel was falling of every other day.

When was the last time you heard of a crash that was due to a maintenance item on a car failing!

tonyrockyhorror, May 28, 3:56am
Exactly. The vehicle is rarely at fault, regardless of whether it had a WoF done 6 months ago or not.

elect70, May 28, 4:04am
Aware of thatjusttaliking aboutWOF 6monthlyinspectionsTried to sell an oldcommie i drove around Aus,left it in the carpark at sydneyairportminus plateswhen I left .Must of accrued fewthou $ infees by now

skiff1, May 28, 7:08am
WOFs dont make my ute safer, but I have it serviced about every 8-10 weeks and keep an eye on it in between. WOFs do make other peoples cars safer though and i am willing to get them even if i dont need it, if it means other people will be forced to. if they have good brakes etc they are less likely to crash into me

fryan1962, May 28, 7:20am
I got a wof on my ute on the way home needed to use horn and it had stopped working, so wofs do not make car safer,driver responsibility

In oz I got wof on car and that was it for 20 yrs on my private car

carclan, May 28, 8:56am
My 05 Fairmont got a warrent rejection due to the head lights being to blue, not sure how many warrents its had and no bulbs changed.

hondalova, May 28, 12:19pm
IMO, the reason for a new wof every 6months is so the windscreen is secured by the sticker. if the sticker gets too old, it wont work to its full potential.

hatchback, May 29, 6:43am
I reckon.probably 95% of drivers DONT maintain their cars, women only ever get their oil checked at WOF time, imagine what the car would be like if only checker yearly