Whats a good 4WD drive for driving up river beds?

Page 2 / 2
offrd1, May 27, 8:39pm
Its just a pity for the year he wants they would be to expensive

smac, May 27, 8:55pm
I would have said unimog, or plenty of equivalents. Whatever you get, get diesel, good approach angle, properly installed winch, snorkel.

bwg11, May 27, 9:03pm
Don't even consider a Rav4. For what you want to do a reduction box (low range) is essential. Otherwise a Rav4 is a great vehicle.

offrd1, May 27, 9:14pm
Diesel.expensive to buy,expensive to fix and not much cheaper to run and most of the older ones are worn out

elect70, May 28, 3:43am
Buy aSWB landroveroroldlandcruiseror nissan patrolthey have full chassis & leaf springs , good & solidwithoutfree wheel hubs( river siltchews them out )the newer off roaders withtheir road tuned supension & unitarybuild & wont last . water will get into carpets& linnings &rotPourlatex over dissy &electrics to keepwater out.

bwg11, May 28, 4:29am

r15, May 28, 7:44am
a surf gets you a lot of truck for your money.i guess it depends what you mean by riverbeds.

mu's are difficult to get much clearance on
suzuki SJ's are great but petrol and hella uncomfortable
anything that's a ute rather than wagon you can slap another $5-10k on the price and expect to lose features

mm12345, May 28, 7:53am
Not normally they don't, since about '87.Coils x 4.

I agree that something like this, or cruiser or early prado is the way to go.But unless the OP knows what he's looking at, it could be a can of worms as they are getting old.And with getting old, there will be constant niggles and things to fix, which will cost if you're not into DIY repairs.

elect70, May 29, 2:42am
^^^If you are gettring into serious off road you need to be able to do emergencyoil changes &repairs , the AAor tow truck wont come up the river for ya .so thesimpler the better . We learnt the hard waywith a hut up the top of Orongarongariver& using itall year round

mrfxit, May 29, 6:22am
LOL yep.
My 88 Surf is std with approx 600mm body clearance on 31" tyres.
Tho,to be fair, I did rebuild the back springs up to std full height.
no lift kits currently, of any sort