How good is Mitsibushi VRX380?

knad13, May 27, 10:36pm
Am looking at getting either a Mitsibushi VRX380 or a Mazda 6, any reviews would be helpful.

phillip.weston, May 27, 10:44pm
Mazda6.

The 380 was a make it or break it car for Mitsubishi Australia, and unfortunately it was the car that broke MMAL. It was based on the American 9th generation Galant with a few visual differences and quite a few differences under the skin (MMAL claim 70% is changed). I think the main let down is the 380 is only available as a sedan and has only one choice of engine spec. There is no wagon or no AWD models available like the outgoing Diamante the 380 replaced. The base model 380 ES 5-spd manual is actually the quickest out of the lot, with the VR-X not having any more power over its lesser spec models.

I've driven a few 380s and found them to be a pleasant enough drive and actually handle surprisingly well (one thing MMAL definitely sorted out over the American model). I guess their benefit over the Mazda6 is they would be much cheaper to purchase for a similar spec model, but then that could work against you when it comes time to sell as the Mazda is likely to retain its value better.

To me the Mazda6 and 380 are in different classes size wise though the Mazda6 does come close to having the same interior room as the 380.

All in all the 380 is not a bad car, a little bit underwhelming if anything - it's just the Mazda6 is a nicer car overall, but you will be paying a premium to buy one over a 380.

knad13, May 27, 10:54pm
Cheers for that, most helpful.

phillip.weston, May 27, 11:21pm
Take both for a drive and decide which one you like the best out of the two, then once you've decided find the best model that you can buy within your budget. The 380 would win out in terms of getting something later model with lower kms for the same price, but the 380 has features on par with the first shape Mazda6 and the current shape Mazda6 would be much better equipped.

phillip.weston, May 27, 11:22pm
Also take a look at the current shape Mondeo preferably in diesel, and the Honda Accord Euro - both are equally as good cars to look at.

specialk11, May 28, 4:14am
The NZ 380 had a larger intake snorkel boasting its output from 175kw-180kw.They handle very well for a large car and perform a lot better than there KW rating would suggest

stevo2, May 28, 5:02am
Agreed
Mazda6, Accord Euro or latest shape Mondeo are the pick of the crop.
The Mazda and Mondeo share the same platform