Opinions on the great wall vehicles plse,vry-cheap

Page 1 / 2
daz1968, May 25, 3:50am
Hi

thinking about buying a ute,they are so much cheaper than a nissan or toyota,just wondering why! or is it typical nissan/toyota just paying for the name.They look alot like a rodeo but just wondering does anyone know about there safety and reliability standards please!

maddy78, May 25, 3:57am
go to aa website and check if they have great wall's safety ratings etc

phillip.weston, May 25, 3:58am
start with a google search. Initial models had dubious safety ratings and many safety issue recalls however the latest facelift model have fixed a few issues. Essentially they are a parts bin special - run an older Isuzu chassis/body, Mitsubishi petrol engine (unsure where the diesel originates from), Toyota gearbox etc.

bellky, May 25, 4:15am
It's made in China - don't feed the monster.

foxdonut, May 25, 4:41am
I wish the TM board had stickies so this thread wouldn't reoccur every second week.

Everyone will say they're shit, enter mapman who will claim the opposite, then a fight will break out between he and Jazz about Fiats. Some passing comments by myself and a few other regular posters will amount in a sub-argument about something unrelated, then the thread decays and gets pushed to page 2 where it dies.

If you don't want to spend money then buy one and find out, just be prepared to live with the consequences.

saki, May 25, 4:42am
Wait for it.

poppajn, May 25, 4:57am
Nothing at all gone wrong with one I,m involved with, good ute for it,s price.

mugenb20b, May 25, 4:59am
I think you are better off with second hand Mazda or Isuzu (Holden) utes TBH.

studio1, May 25, 5:09am
+1 - every time you purchase something like this you only encourage them to produce more of the crap.
The steel used on the panels is so thin it folds if you lean against it. I know someone who has one and it's the biggest regret he's ever made, but at the time he couldn't stop boasting about how great it was because he got it so cheap!

yogibearz, May 25, 5:16am
You get what you pay for. If you buy a new one just wait till you try and sell or trade it. It will be worth nothing.

superdave0_13, May 25, 7:40am
studio1 wrote:
The steel used on the panels is so thin it folds if you lean against it. [quote]

Oh so it's like my 2006 hilux!

clark20, May 25, 9:24am
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin, English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)

bubbles244, May 25, 9:37am
Most likley great.till you hit a wall

horsepower7, May 25, 9:42am
my pannel beater recons they are full of rust because they are not made of the same quality as toyotsa, nissans etc. flag buying one, but hey they may be a few good ones!

inkapuka, May 25, 5:28pm
How could a brand new car rust being they have not been in nz very long I could understand an 10+ yr old car showing age but new one!

haventrader, May 25, 9:21pm
That is probably the most accurate issue of them all here. They'd be worthless in a few years (or months), where the Toyota still demands silly prices second-hand. Great Wall offer good warranties and the rust issue is nonsense. They are a bit archaic and the finish is not quite up to the standard one would find in Nissans, Toyotas and the like. The diesel engines are a VW unit. For the price they're not a bad option.

kiwaza, May 25, 9:26pm
Very good point. Check to see if the backs of the panels have been painted.

whqqsh, May 25, 9:38pm
contracting firm at work has had a few of their Ford Rangers flagged & failed WOFs, rust in the join where the front guards join the front cross member. these are only year or two old so the whole fleet is being inspected

petermcg, May 26, 5:23am
The only set back is that they are only making them for us,, because we buy them,, they are cheap and probably not much wrong with them. It doesent matter what you were paying $1000.00 for 20 years ago,,,,, China can now make the same Item for $10.00,, its good for our pocket so we have to do it.

haydennaomi, May 26, 5:38am
would you buy ozito and expect it to be as good as festool!no they do not compare and the price reflects that as it does with great walls and geelys

brokebloke1, May 26, 5:52am
we looked at the 3 Great wall trucks that are on display at Riccarton mall today they didint look too bad at all, opened all the doors looked under the bonnet seems quiet a good truck for the money, soild wagons,
be ideal for anyone looking at one for a bussiness

mrcat1, May 26, 6:44am
They are useless for anyone in business that has to tow heavy trailers, they only have a 2 or 2.2 tonne tow rating. Mind you the sheep shaggers are not much better than that at 2.5 tonne, and they even tell people that they will tow a lot more, no arguments there, only when either Mr Plod pulls you over or you have a crash towing a heavier trailer than rated and your insurance company walks away from you that someone will learn.

vivac, May 27, 12:24am
The moral of the story here is dont buy a new one, buy a two year old one.
They are virtually free.

poppajn, May 27, 1:34am
Have you looked at them 2nd hand! We got $17k for a 2 1/2 year ols one that was $24k new.

haydennaomi, May 27, 6:32am
is that good or bad!