Great Wall.?

Page 1 / 5
haventrader, Jun 18, 8:00pm
A while back (at least a year ago) someone started the thread of how good (or bad) the Great Wall range of Utes / 4x4's were. Being new-ish to NZ at the time, untried and untested, these extremely well-priced and quite good-looking range of vehicles got a very bad rap. So, one year on.has anyone's views changed! I had 10 minutes free yesterday. Across the road was a dealer selling Great Walls, so I went to have a look. I did not drive one, but was pleasantly surprised with the level of comfort, features and again, good looks. The entire range has had a face-lift both exterior and interior, and a 2.0l Turbo diesel is now offered. For below $30k, with a 3 year warranty etc etc, are people still steering clear and buying the second-hand 300000km Toyota Hi Lux for the same price!
Be keen to know people's thoughts.

clark20, Jun 19, 12:43am
What are you! The great wall salesman!

vtecintegra, Jun 19, 12:48am
It'd be interesting to find out which diesel engine they're using.

The modern Japanese direct injection diesels have a bad enough reputation and they've been around for quite a few years now

granada, Jun 19, 1:07am
The sun visor clips are a bit weak but apart from that they seen ok

vtecintegra, Jun 19, 1:09am
Depends on how good it is.The TDI in the VW Amarok is only a 2l remember.

But then again VW is a world leader in diesels

m16d, Jun 19, 3:34am
The sales dude at the fieldays told me the 2L diesel is a chinese engine with a jap turbo and injection from { I think he said Bosch}
All the petrol G Walls have jap engines. The diesel isn't available til september.
Well thats what the sales dude at the fieldays told me.

peejeles, Jun 19, 3:45am
i think i read somewhere their crash tests and safety features were the worst on nz roads. (for new vehicles that is)

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 3:56am
They are dirty copying scum. One of the reasons they can peddle this rubbish so cheap is because they blatantly steal other manufacturers technology and save millions of dollars in development. We are not just talking the odd bit of copying, in some cases its entire cars.

What a stupid country we live in where some software piracy by individuals is stomped on heavily (which to a degree I agree with) yet we welcome and encourage company's who commit blatant acts of piracy with open arms.

Its also absurd that we are all forced to pay a fortune into the Emissions Trading Scheme yet these Monkey's are selling us cars built in city's so polluted that your clothes get covered in black muck from the air as soon as you step outside.

There are many reasons why these cars are cheap, and very few of them are good.

dinosaw88, Jun 19, 4:03am
Yeah all them damn manufacturers and dictators copying Henrys ideas.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 4:09am
Not even close to the same. I am normally up for a laugh and a piss take but what they are doing is no laughing matter.
Its time we called an end to China playing by different rules to everyone else for its own benefit.
People think its great being able to buy cheap rubbish from China but it actually isn't cheap in the scheme of things and its ruining entire countries.

intrade, Jun 19, 5:33am
tell that jon and his keys who orderd some crap trains from china becouse he saves a few $ from there.

bjmh, Jun 19, 5:43am
didn't we swap milk powder for a vehicle called a Lada.i wonder how that went.like a lead balloon

cjohnw, Jun 19, 6:09am
Not just vehicles. Check out the cheap (as in less than half the other manufacturers) Chinese outboard motors coming in now.
Listing #: 385299086
With a Free Trade Agreement with China in place we will have to get used to this cheap stuff flooding in.

mapman, Jun 19, 7:05am
Yeah copy that thejazzpianoma and well said, I??

bigracket, Jun 19, 7:26am
Yip I have see them, boy have I seen them. take a reliable motor with you though as well.

haventrader, Jun 19, 7:32am
Interesting, and no, I'm not a GW salesman, or any salesman for that matter. Further to discussions of "Chinese made junk", I think it is a bit unfair to point the finger at the Chinese. Yes, almost ALL the crap we buy off TM, at Bunnings, Mitre 10, (God help us maybe even ) Pak n Save, is cheap crap that you know is going to break.soon. I blame the buyers in this country who purposely buy the cheapest crap because, and wait for it, there is such a BIG market in lil ol NZ for all this sh1t! And yet we bitch and moan about everything that breaks but tomorrow we will all be standing in tow at Bunnings buying just another "Chinese made piece of junk". The reality is you can buy top quality products made in China, but you will pay, maybe as much as a good Japanese made brand (open up the back of your Toshiba heatpump, or Sony laptop etc etc and everything is Chinese made.). Back to GW's then. Despite possibly ripping off other patents etc (thanks Jazz), is this a cheap Chinese rubbish, or is there something more to it, and as someone mentioned, entering into an aggresive market! GW sell many models of cars, not just the 3 models on sale in NZ. Anyone own one and would like to comment!

xacoon, Jun 19, 7:58am
brand new ute for under 30k, sure, sweet as, I can get a new 2.5 diesel ranger out of the box and on the road for under 40, with a proven parts and service backup network, and have proven themselves to be sturdy enough to handle what I will throw at them. few extra k for piece of mind. works for me

cjohnw, Jun 19, 8:06am
No way was I suggesting the outboards were in any way "dodgy", or the guy bringing them in for that matter.

I was simply trying to make the point that cheap Chinese goods are not just restricted to TV's and Great Wall auto's - that they were actually branching out into other non traditional areas (outboard motors). And we should get used to it, there will be loads more to come - in all sorts of areas.

xacoon, Jun 19, 8:07am
tractors, ursus, 'nuff said.

foxdonut, Jun 19, 10:39am
People who drive Chinese cars hate life.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 10:53am
People just don't seem to get this at all. Great Wall have been known to copy entire cars inside and out then just hang some different lights and bumpers on them.
We are not just talking about a few similar parts or one or two copied items. This is blatant broad daylight theft without any effort being made to hide what they have done.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 11:06am
Yes it is, Great Wall are the worst of all!
You really don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 11:12am
If anyone wants to see some comparison pictures of the copy these nasty thieves made of the Fiat Panda have a scroll down to the pictures in this link. Look carefully at the interior comparisons as well.
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/landmill-chery-great-wall/sujet19.htm

mapman, Jun 19, 11:20am
Really, do you know how many Chinese manufactures are out there and Great Wall are the worse. Crap and I know exactly what I??

thejazzpianoma, Jun 19, 11:34am
You have no clue what so ever. not even a little bit. What on earth are you smoking/injecting/swallowing.
It is true that Fiat have a reciprocal agreement in place with Cherry and used a couple of engines for a while in a couple of their less popular China Market vehicles. So what!
They didn't steal the engines they paid for them!
The vast majority of Fiats use Fiat engines like the Multijet and the Fire, the Cherry ones were only a temporary China Market thing, and again it was all legitimate, not theft involved.
This is not unusual in the automotive world at all, Suzuki used Fiat Diesels and now use VW Diesels. Also perfectly fine.
What you have said is just bizzare given Fiat have led the way in engine design and innovation in the last 15 years.