Great Wall.

Page 1 / 2
j.cameron, May 16, 6:10am
Just wondering if any of you motoring gurus have any thoughts or comments about these cars. Thanks in advance :)

j.cameron, May 16, 6:15am
Super! Thanks for that

j.cameron, May 16, 6:23am
Thanks for that, the X240 looks like a really good family car. We have been for a look and are trading from a toyota surf (late model) to one of those. I am thinking it is very much like the older days of what you know you stick with. They also are fairly nice looking on the road too! (for a female that is important lol)

russ6, May 16, 6:34am
The warranty period/kms is quite long I recall.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 7:18am
Have you checked out the Skoda Yeti! You might be able to get an ex demo one or similar for not much more than the Great Wall and they are a million times better car.

The Skoda uses all the industry leading mechanicals from VW/Audi but they keep the price down. They are a phenomenal vehicle.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 8:14am
Have a look at the crash test, not that flash by todays standards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=5nSqG--Caic

bae13, May 16, 8:25am
just look around you and see what else you own is chinese, whats the quality like compared to japanese stuff!look at the ching-bing tvs to a sony!

there you will find your answer.

they are cheap for a reason, but i admitt they are getting better, maybe just wait another 4-5 years

mapman, May 16, 11:11am
On that video the crash test results were 4 out of 5 for the GWC Hover X240 GW Hover X240. That??

vtecintegra, May 16, 11:18am
Note the SUV model (as above) is miles different from the utes

vjregal770, May 16, 11:31am
You get what you pay for.

sr2, May 16, 11:38am
Hate to be the one to point it out but to the best of my knowledge many Sony branded products are made in China.

yogibearz, May 16, 6:24pm
Dont do it.You will regret it.As vjregal770 says you getwhat you pay for, They are cheap for a reason.

kcf, May 16, 8:23pm
What's the resale value like!

mapman, May 16, 8:53pm
Or you are just paying for what it is worth and not getting ripped off.
What also needs pointing out is since November 2009, China is the largest auto market in the world. Only 44% were Chinese brands, that means China is producing 56% of vehicles that are Japanese, European, American and Australian brands. These include Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki, Mazda, Daihatsu, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Fiat, Ford, G.M, PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) and Volkswagen.
Then lets talk about the parts, like lights, belts, fuses, tyres, complete engines, parts for engines, complete transmissions, transmission parts, clutch ass., wiring, pumps, relays, fuel tanks, hoses, mirrors, carpets, inner panelling, seats, safety belts- yes safety belts, air bags, nuts & bolts plus other hardware, instruments, manuals, filters, bulbs, knobs and handles, batteries, steering wheels, peddles, bumpers, other plastic parts and so on for every car manufacture globally.
Get my drift! It??

_peas, May 16, 9:11pm
You have got to be kidding me that this was removed due to the 5th last word in this post.The post is useful and provides an alternative point of view from the usual "rub this stuff into the ground".That is pathetic!

ON the topic of the Great Wall's however, a mate in the panel trade says that he has seen a few in for rust repairs in the guards. not sure if they were up to the job in the anti corrosion area.The panel fastenings are not painted apparently. so could be the starting point for it.

mapman, May 16, 9:11pm
It wont be that flash until they get established. One of the pitfalls of any new brand is gaining popularity. If G.W & Chery dealers can give great aftersales support and have a sound network throughout NZ for parts, this will improve year to year. They give a 3 year/100,000km warranty, so are backing their own product. That's a good sign.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 9:41pm
They still don't make economic sense when compared to a Skoda Yeti. You get a whole lot more car in terms of safety, economy and resale for your extra 10K.

thejazzpianoma, May 16, 9:42pm
No thats not "right up there" an 11 year old Fiat Punto scores just as well. They are bottom of the bunch for safety in that type of brand new vehicle. If you actually look at the video you will see why too.

mapman, May 16, 10:16pm
A 2011 Toyota RAV4 SUV scores three stars and costs up to $49,990 new. That??

gilco2, May 16, 10:27pm
Used Skoda Yeti Trademe = $43000 to $52000
New Great WallX240=$29000.much cheaper.

mapman, May 16, 10:47pm
Here is a few more.
2011 Mitsubishi Challenger SUV Crash test result 4 stars. Cost up to $63390
Ford Territory SUV Crash test result 4 stars. Cost up to $63368
Nissan Murano SUV Crash test result 4 stars. Cost up to $63700
Holden Captiva SUV Crash test result 4 stars. Cost up to $44990
Audi Q5 SUV Crash test result 5 stars. Cost $86900
Clearly going on these figures the New Great Wall X240 SUV is right up there safety wise and is better value for money.

vtecintegra, May 16, 10:53pm
But the X240 doesn't compete with any of those (except for the Captiva 5)

net_oz, May 16, 10:55pm
Do people really buy a vehicle on their safety rating!
That comes down the list for me. I buy one because of it's performance, what i want it to do and looks before safety.
So far no one on here has owned one to let us know how they perform. Let's wait until an owner tells us what they are like.

mapman, May 16, 11:04pm
They are all 4x4/ SUVs just to compair.

vtecintegra, May 16, 11:05pm
Curb weight: 1830kg
Power: 100kw @ 5250rpm
Torque: 200nm @ 2500-3000rpm

Thats well below even a petrol Captiva 5, let alone anything else which are either much lighter or much more powerful.