Great Wall v240 - the good and the bad please

ryanm2, Oct 4, 6:52pm
ive googled and found very divided views. Looking at a 2.4 petrol / 2011. 113 km on the clock. 2WD. I have a feeling a lot of the bad reviews are because its Chinese, and if its Chinese it must be a piece of crap.

intrade, Oct 4, 6:59pm
The bad is bf mat said wiring problems . also if you think like chinese parts must be easy to get you actuarly cant buy any on the internet . crash testing also not to good on some models.
I done research on the diesel The diesel looks ok from a engeneering point like aluminium intake not plastic fantastic crapola . price is cheap-
i would not pay more then 5G for a 6 year old china car with low km.

mojo49, Oct 4, 7:13pm
Mate has a 2013 2L twin turbo diesel which is supposedly a VW engine. Done 100Km and just cracked a head or blown a head gasket. It should be on TM soon for $1 reserve.

intrade, Oct 4, 7:33pm
what vehicle are you talking ?

bigfatmat1, Oct 4, 7:41pm
took a 2015 v240 2wd on a 500km trip a few weeks ago 15k on the clock. The good: a large deck. The bad: drove like it had 315k on the clock poor steering poor handling really poor steering lock. It felt like I had to turn steering wheel 180 Deg to change lanes. Uncomfortable seat. In saying all that what do you really expect for your money?

mojo49, Oct 4, 7:44pm
Great Wall 2013 ute manual 6 speed 2L. Owner bought it new and says at the price he is not unhappy or surprised. he is doing a lot better with the Mahindra utes he also has. Much stronger although quite a lot more expensive but much better for towing heavy trailers, especially off road over farm paddocks etc.

poppy62, Oct 4, 7:51pm
mojo49 wrote:
Mate has a 2013 2L twin turbo diesel which is supposedly a VW engine. Done 100Km and just cracked a head or blown a head gasket. It should be on TM soon for $1 reserve.[/quote

Another example of misinformed information being used to put down other makers. It's always a mate, or a friends mate story (never in the first instance) and they're always usually wrong. The Great Wall diesel engine is just that, deigned and built by GW. The petrol engine is Mitsubishi based. Don't let the facts get in the way of crap info.

tgray, Oct 4, 7:57pm
x1
Hyundai used to be bad. Now their good.
Kia used to be bad. Now their good.
Great Wall has not made that transition from bad to good yet.

intrade, Oct 4, 8:00pm
2.0 great wall diesel are engeneered and developed by them nothing to do with vw its fully chinese developed no clone copy of anything as far as i know.

mojo49, Oct 4, 8:27pm
Strange about the engine. I looked at buying that ute and worked with the owner and a mechanic to try and track down and fix the overheating problem, prior to the final diagnosis. They told me the engine was VW. I did not invent that and expressed surprise that such an engine would fail at 100Km. Now it does not surprise me it has failed. They are a good ute for highway and light towing use. The build is very basic and they do not hold together well when taken over farm paddocks regularly. You have to rev them quite hard to get them moving with a heavy trailer on. They are simply not suited to traditional NZ ute usage. You will also find a lot of issues with them on Australian forums, especially overheating. They had a recall in NZ and Aussie because the exhaust manifold gasket has asbestos in it. At the end of 2013 they stopped shipping them to NZ and Aussie and started again in late 2015. The NZ franchisee after 2105 did not honour the warranty on the 2013 and prior years. All that I have found for myself and from the current owner who I work closely with, plus our shared mechanic. It is not an attempt to discredit them, given I was looking seriously at buying it.

ryanm2, Oct 4, 8:41pm
Maybe I will stick to a higher km Navara or Hilux.

henderson_guy, Oct 4, 8:43pm
Good: cheap.
Bad: nasty.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 4, 8:53pm
Judging my those of that age I have seen at turners etc. It will be almost scrap at that age.
I wouldn't even bother.

gpg58, Oct 4, 11:03pm

tgray, Oct 5, 8:30am
Sometimes you get less than what you paid for.

bumfacingdown, Oct 5, 8:30am
Apparently that is what a good PPI is all about, getting a good one is the trick.
Despite what some naysayers on here say, there are good GW utes that last, will they be as good as say, Toyota, just look at the price.

kcf, Oct 5, 1:38pm
The Navara's don't have a good rep either. Mostly for rust as I recall.

Though a friend of mine had a late model Navara as a daily, and it spent almost the entire time of her ownership of it at the dealer, before the dealer took it back about a year later.

tiny15, Oct 5, 10:03pm
Seeing a lot of them on the road in Aussie as 'tradie type' work utes- there was a problem with the importer/ distributor not stocking/selling parts for a few months after a dispute with the Chinese. at the time everyone was chasing the flexible air intake hose (apparently they all split)

gsimpson, Oct 5, 10:22pm
Asbestos in the gaskets would be a good thing as it is ideally suited to that application. Perfectly safe so long as you don't attack it with a grinder when changing it turning it to dust. There are a lot of drama queens out there.

bashfulbro, Oct 5, 11:04pm
Following is everything good about a Great Wall ute.

phillip.weston, Jan 1, 2:02pm
*They're.