Great Wall and Mahindra

neville48, May 19, 11:06am
Looking at these utes they seem to be a lot cheaper than the equivalent in anything else. Are they rubbish drivechain, faulty, badly built or all of the above. or are we just not ready for Chinese or Indian vehicles yet ?

intrade, May 19, 11:21am
Problems will be parts availability, The only real source I have found is from scrapyards. Other than that they will be as good or bad as anything else.

m16d, May 19, 11:22am
I always reckon you could stand up and drive a Mahindra there seems to be so much head room.

jeff1234, May 19, 11:43am
My neighbour has a mahindra as farm ute, its OK for the money but was sat up for months as an 18month old vehicle waiting for parts, and this was way before covid.

franc123, May 19, 11:45am
You get what you pay for, theyre pretty crude and none of it is what you would call export quality. If your clutch plate fractures in your driveway on the way home from the showroom Im told the distributors will rip one out of another truck in the compound yard if they have to. The thing is whether you consider the other shiny porridge corporate fodder made by Ford, Mazda, Isuzu, Nissan, Toyota and Mitsi who are more concerned about their reputations in a competitive market is worth $20k or so more upfront? None of it has been trouble free.

s_nz, May 19, 11:55am
Engineered with extra head room to accommodate the common turban use in their home market.

tweake, May 19, 5:43pm
i know someone with a mahindra.
biggest issue is rust. there rust proofing is almost nonexistent. he got the chassis coated withe a year or so due to it rusting. i've seen them rusty when sitting in the dealers lot.

the other thing is they are way underpowered. also fairly low tow rating.

the other cheaper brand worth looking is LDV

jmma, May 19, 5:59pm

theo35, May 19, 7:39pm
I could have bought anything; i started a thread on here about buying a g63. that was some months ago and after a lot of research i bought this yesterday for a tad over 40k. It is wonderful fun to drive, i like looking at it, and it seems well built and functions well. I love it:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1543473038.jpg

gph1961, Aug 6, 5:08pm
runs to talk to Herb.