Chery & Great Wall - asbestos problem .

Page 1 / 2
mm12345, Aug 14, 6:05pm
"It is the case that some of our gaskets have been found to contain a small amount of asbestos, however we have professional advice from an occupational health and safety consultant that there is a negligible risk to drivers or passengers of the vehicles, and a very low risk for mechanics working on the cars,"
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/chinese-made-cars-to-be-recalled-from-aussie-consumers/story-e6frg6nf-1226450465194

74nova, Aug 14, 6:33pm
Ouch! that will cost them. Cheap crap.

philltauranga, Aug 14, 6:43pm
They should recall, and then refund people then CRUSH them all, cheap china peice of 5hit

mm12345, Aug 14, 6:47pm
No - not crushed.Wrapped and sealed in 2 layers of 80 micron polyethylene film, and buried in an approved landfill - preferably back in China.

rob_man, Aug 14, 7:39pm
My my, such vitriol.

horsygirl, Aug 14, 8:21pm
Thanks to Helen Clark and the last Labour Government.they signed The Free Trade Agreement with China that allows this crap into NZ as well.Another Labour Legacy.

motorboy2011, Aug 14, 8:25pm
Ban smoking too. Far more likelyhood of a cherry/greatwall owner dying of cancer related to smoking than asbestos.

smac, Aug 14, 8:26pm
Yeah, 'cause a Nat govt would never have done that.

Pfft.

chebry, Aug 14, 8:29pm
It should be known that the used Jappas we care drowning in cant be sold in Aussie either they dont meet ADR standards

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 8:47pm
Good opportunity to share costs and bury some Japanese air filters with them.

bellky, Aug 14, 9:30pm
Yeah like National wouldn't have done the same.

splinter67, Aug 14, 9:34pm
Take to opinion and politics dud

rsr72, Aug 14, 10:01pm
Half the cars on NZ's roads have good old asbestos gaskets in and around the engines.
-had a look at what's hanging up on many garage walls!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 10:15pm
Just because we have older cars with asbestos gaskets on our roads dosn't mean its O.K for Chery and Great Wall to break the law regarding asbestos in new cars. (Not sure what the law is in NZ but they are breaking the law in Australia).

The argument is a bit like saying there are plenty of Morris Minors running around with no catalytic converters therefore we don't need to worry if new cars fail emissions tests.

rsr72, Aug 14, 10:50pm
Doesn't seem to have harmed those innumerable owners of vintage, classic, or just old, cars and who don't possess a 'Sky is falling' attitude to life.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 10:59pm
Funny, of the small circle of old retired mechanics I know one has died of emphysema. Not a smoker either as far as I am aware. These guy's washed their hands in petrol and did all sorts of other bad things too. dosn't mean we should continue now we know better.

None of what you said makes it O.K for Chinese company's to flout a countries laws regarding new vehicles in my opinion.

kcf, Aug 14, 11:58pm
Have you actually examined the law in NZ, such that you know that they are in fact breaking a law here!

Australia and NZ do have different regulations.So it isn't safe to assume that because something breaks a reg there, that it also breaks a reg here.

mm12345, Aug 15, 12:14am
There's at least the requirement that anything containing asbestos needs to have a standard warning label permanently fixed to it.
The "contains a small amount of asbestos" spin from the Aussie importers will be just that - spin.Some fibre reinforced gasket isn't likely to be ceramic fibre with a trace of asbestos thrown in for good measure - it will be one or the other.

net_oz, Aug 15, 1:15am
Asbestos in a gasket is not going to kill you. It is asbestos dust that does the damage. Not all asbestos is created equal either.
Australia doesn't want Japanese imports as it is controlled by the unions. Get rid of them and see what happens.

elect70, Aug 15, 1:42am
Thousands ofstate housesstill have asbestos cladding from 50 s & still lots of asbestos roofs still aroundlook atold factories , what you gonna do about themeh ! .Its like the stuff they treat timberwith , its onlytoxic if you eatit .

nicolaas3, Aug 15, 3:15am
Its just the Aussie car industry protecting itself from competition.

mm12345, Aug 15, 8:26am
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/australia-recalls-23-000-chinese-made-cars-over-asbestos.html

Made the news in the US now.

Asbestos in cars banned in 54 countries.The makers reckon it was a mistake - put the wrong parts in cars for export to Aus.I believe that not.

richardmayes, Aug 15, 8:29am
I smoked old exhaust gaskets for 30 years and it's never done me any harm!

chebry, Aug 15, 8:37am
mm12345 wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-15/australia-recalls-23-000-chinese-made-cars-over-asbestos.html

Made the news in the US now.

Asbestos in cars banned in 54 countries.The makers reckon it was a mistake - put the wrong parts in cars for export to Aus.I believe that not.[/quotCould be true dont forget the Japs sent biodegradable body panels for while only meant for JDM use by mistake and their cars rusted like mad

mm12345, Aug 15, 8:54am
The toyota debacle in the early '80s!
I think it was a cock-up with Japan changing rust protection treatment on the CKD panels, and the Thames plant not dealing with it properly.I had one of those - Toyota took it back, replaced all the panels, stripped the rest back to bare metal and started again.That must have cost them heaps.
The local Toyota dealer was in denial for a long time - couldn't work out why I was a bit peeved to find old 50ccoin sized rust spots appearing all over a car that began when it was only a few weeks old.Was a company car- although they did a good job on the repaint, I wouldn't have been happy if it was my own car.

As for the Chinese makers - they're off to a bad start if they're trying to emulate the manufacturing success of Japan post-war.The Chinese starting point of corruption from the top down won't make it happen for them, and neither will foreign owned plants in China.The Japanese might not have been regarded as "product innovators", but they revolutionised manufacturing methods, and that wasn't based on the Chinese sweatshop, the PLA holding a gun to someone's head, and heavily subsidised raw materials.