How many labor hours for replacing gearbox?

Page 1 / 2
wedowskivision, May 23, 7:57am
Hey,

how many hours of labor does it take for an automechanic to replace a gearbox and clutch!

Thanks.

gammelvind, May 23, 7:59am
45 mins in a 1964 austin A60

skull, May 23, 7:59am
What year is your Bugatti Veyron, there were a couple of modifications that add hours on depending on the model.

wedowskivision, May 23, 8:00am
Its a VW Polo

carlz05, May 23, 8:04am
A year of your VW would help too.They take a few hours ofr a start, they're not an easy job.

wedowskivision, May 23, 8:08am
oh true. its 2001

skull, May 23, 8:12am
The VW publicity department will be along shortly.

trdbzr, May 23, 8:13am
Mate I think you must be mistaken. That car can never have any faults or problems at all. Those cars are pretty much bomb proof and bullet proof and are super duper reliable coz the village idiot and his little minions said so.

gammelvind, May 23, 8:21am
I do vaguely remember him saying something about the Polo being not so good. I'm sure a correction will be here soon.

poppajn, May 23, 8:32am
20 minutes, took one to the dump and found another one to replace it.
Now ifyour meaning to take it out of a vechicle, well thats a different thing altogether.

wedowskivision, May 23, 8:47am
My gearbox is totally wrecked and I bought a new one and also a new clutch and got it here with me. I'm just trying to find a cheap mechanic to replace. VW in Newmarket quotes it takes 8 hours. My local mechanic says 6-7 hours. Then some mechanic I emailed said 6 hours.

But some mates told me that their mechanic in Christchurch only paid for 4 hours. That was a Golf tho. But not much difference to a Polo

dr.doolittle, May 23, 8:56am
So get it done in Christchurch .

motorboy2011, May 23, 10:26am
he's a bit slow on getting here tonight!

bubbles244, May 23, 10:31am
well, the last time i hada new clutch installed it took the guys 2 hours and charged 175 dollars.

and based on the assumption that they'd have to undo the drive shaft gear box mounts and bell housing i doubt they'd charge any more to put your old gearbox on the floor and pick up the one thats replacing it once they've put the new clutch on the flywheel.

assuming yours is a RWD 5 speed manual though.

foxdonut, May 23, 10:31am
Go easy. Even Jazz has agree'd that the Polo isn't that great.

foxdonut, May 23, 10:35am
Lol. Okay. What components are shared!

bubbles244, May 23, 10:37am
the ashtray!

mugenb20b, May 23, 10:38am
RWD Polo!

wedowskivision, May 23, 10:44am
haha I wish it was RWD :P

kcc55a, May 23, 8:27pm
Still no jazz

smac, May 23, 8:35pm
Just my 10c, but if you're worried about the cost difference of 2 hours labour, car ownership is not for you.

carmedic, May 23, 11:59pm
I'd quote 4 hours plus parts (gear oil and possible flywheel skim).
It's an quick easy job on all Polos regardless of age or the engine.

elect70, May 24, 2:04am
depends ifhe does it on a monday or a friday,monday he still recovering from the weekend & will take longer & friday he wants itout sowill be quicker .

saki, May 24, 6:04am
Im with carmedic on that one but no comebacks if the the g/b isnt to your satisfaction.

stabi360, May 24, 8:51am
mate can do a renault in 25 mins flat
we also did a bighorn10 hours tried to do it without dropping front end had a stupid winged sump flopped around like a cock in a sock but wouldnt come out