K&N air filter.

dyln.sampson, May 21, 7:09am
I have a Holden vy v6 and I looked at my air filter and it was very filthy lol. Should I buy just a standard filter or a K&N one. I have heard that they are the best u can get also increases abut of kilowatts!

mugenb20b, May 21, 7:14am
K&N air filter doesn't increase horsepower.

dyln.sampson, May 21, 7:15am
What does!

foxdonut, May 21, 7:16am
ssshhh! Don't let the fanboys hear you!

foxdonut, May 21, 7:16am
Lysholm Twin Screw Superchargers.

mugenb20b, May 21, 7:19am
Artificial aspiration.

morrisman1, May 21, 7:20am
new factory filter is just as good as a k&n

The restriction is not in the filter itself (unless its stuffed), if you want more power then unlock it by reducing turbulence in the intake system and get some colder air to the engine.

mugenb20b, May 21, 7:21am
Alterations to the exhaust system (and I don't mean a big bore muffler).

dyln.sampson, May 21, 7:22am
Lol so I should get a cold air intake instead. !

dyln.sampson, May 21, 7:23am
How do I go about that!

morrisman1, May 21, 7:23am
would be a good start. Some vehicles already have a good setup from factory, so evaluate how good the factory system is before you go spending money on parts

patiki1, May 21, 8:45am
Get a k&n,at least you can wash it and reuse it.

clark20, May 21, 8:53am
Nah get a cold air intake with a K&N, heres mine

http://www.vcm-suite.com.au/performance/images/ve-otr1.jpg

doug207, May 21, 1:50pm
No "fancy: air filter is going to give you a proper increase in power over the OEM unit.
A cold intake may help you a bit, but the best way to get power from one is to trade it on a V8.

40wav, May 21, 7:07pm
I just bought a new air filter for my VS. Standard Ryco replacement was $18 from Supercheap.

40wav, May 21, 7:08pm
A fresh, clean one of any brand will though (over a dirty old clogged one)

smac, May 21, 8:18pm
Depends on the car. There are some OEM units out there that have been proven to restrict flow. But I guess I'm talking about old stuff.

It's also not just a restriction when new (which is how they are usually tested). The advantages of the K&N over SOME paper filters is they flow much better after having been in use for some time. Nobody wants to change the filter too often, so you need one that will still flow even after it's been in use for a while.They may test the same when new, but do they test the same after 5000K of dusty roads!

pebbles61, May 22, 7:26am
^^^ pretty much what these guys have said. The cleaning factor is the main reason a lot of people get them.

andrea_w, May 22, 8:05am
I've got a K&N POD filter. I fitted it for one reason - to gain power because my factory air box is literally asthmatic!
BUT it's not a half assed job, I've made a cold air intake and a cold air box
Being reusable, it's win/win!

johnf_456, May 22, 8:18am
Most modern vehicles have pretty good airboxes with the exception of some, but if you are going to go down the pod route. Build a cold airbox, get some cardboard,cut it out to get some templates and go wild!

Personally I'd look at the existing airbox before paying top dollar for a pricey air filter.