Bighorn pro and cons

ambo11, Jun 2, 4:18am
Looking to get a mid 80s Bighorn 3.1 diesel auto, prefer the Lotus ones, whats the good and bad on these! Realise rego is $420 a year, plus $40 every 1000km RUC! Replacing a Rav4.mainly to be used as a medium duty tow wagon and the odd trip.whats the good and bad points on these, and I've heard they are a solid and dependable wagon overall. Servicing etc I'd do myself. Cheers.

cpnnz, Jun 2, 4:44am
Mid 80's would be the old square body 2.8, you would be wanting the '91-on model with the 3.1 motor. The 'Irmscher RS' was a nice vehicle. I always thought the 'Lotus' had ugly wheels and interior trim.

franc123, Jun 2, 4:45am
Any particular reason why you want a diesel 4wd! I wouldn't buy one if your needs could be met by a medium/large 2wd petrol vehicle. Bighorns are OK but age is catching up with them rapidly, dodgy autos leaking steering boxes, balljoints and suspension bits wearing out and brake problems, especially siezed and corroded calipers are whats costing these days. The engines are pretty solid providing they've had reasonable service. Don't never ever as in not ever be tempted by later models with 3.0TD 4JX1 engines no matter how cheap they are offered for sale.

ambo11, Jun 2, 5:22am
Sorry meant mid 90s on, the Plasir/Lotus etc, not up with the play on what the different models are. As for diesel, well even with RUC/Rego costs the diesel would still be well ahead of the 3.2V6 running cost wise I would say!.surely the petrol V6 ones are hellishly expensive to run. Want a 4WD for ground clearance, rough paddocks etc. The Rav we have is just a little small, can't fit the big chainsaws etc in the back even with the seats forward, and can't open the back door with a trailer on.the tow hitch gets hit by the rear door.plus a bit gutless if you get a big load of wood on. Probably wouldn't be looking any newer than 1997 as don't want to spend any more than about 6K.

monster34, Jun 2, 5:36am
buy a challenger, i have a 3.0 petrol tows well has reasonable ground clearance (mine has lift kit) probably 10-11ltrs per 100km if you dont flog the Ar#e out of it, but no milage and no high rego cost, also service intervals are less and no turbo to worry about.Diesel is great but in the long run really isn't cheaper.
Ive owned several 4x4s of each and the preference is for petrol

kazbanz, Jun 2, 6:26am
Ambo-by now quite honestly there is no difference in how a lotus bighorn and the budget version drives. It will come down to how the individual vehicle has been treated. Incidently its also badged honda Horison.
I agree with francs comments but will add -as someone has discovered you need to make sure it engages the front hubs on your test drive -- if they don't engage then its actually good--adjust your price by about $500 and have a set of manual front hubs fitted

r15, Jun 2, 10:08am
most of my experience with bighorns is flying past them in my 3.0 diesel surf going up hills.

geminidragon, Jun 3, 9:27pm
my bighorn plasir goes very well up hills

bigfatmat1, Jun 3, 10:21pm
revving up by itself and exploding!

berg, Jun 3, 10:27pm
That's the 3ltr 4JX1 engine. The 3.1 is a bombproof beasty. The second generation Bighorn is by and large a good thing

paddyman, Jun 4, 9:29am
Im with r15, buy a 3.0 litre Surf, manual would be better, depends where your using it most I guess.

bigfatmat1, Jun 4, 7:29pm
pretty sure its the 3.1 there was a recall for this however it appears we are still striking problems with cracks affecting starting!

geminidragon, Jun 4, 8:18pm
what do you mean

s.c, Jun 5, 6:40am
I had a bighorn lotus 1995 never had any issues I used it tow a horse float up and down the country which it handled really well I think it was up to around 220 000 klms when I sold it no major issues in 4 years but always looked after it

berg, Jun 5, 9:47am
Cracks!

geminidragon, Jun 5, 7:36pm
please enlighten me in regards to these cracks

berg, Jun 6, 6:28am
I was asking the same of a previous poster. I'm quite sure he is confusing the troublesome 3ltr 4JX1 engine with the very robust 3.1 4JG2 engine

a.woodrow, Jun 6, 7:06am
Nope it was the later 3.0 that we had the recall for, a dog of an engine. The 3.1 is pretty bulletproof

geminidragon, Jun 6, 8:52pm
thanks i can breath a little easier

dalglen, Jun 7, 7:52am
Had two bighorns, both 3.1 tdi, soft riding cruisers. They plod along nicely, but they are torquey motors not racers. Economy varies a bit from vehicle to vehicle. VERY IMPORTANT: to get longevity out of an isuzu ( or any diesel really ) they MUST have regular oil & filter changes AND the radiator must be cleaned, not just back flushed, but removed & core cleaned out every 2 - 3 years. Don't believe me: look at the number of tidy bighorns going cheap because of cracked heads.They fine if radiator cleaned. I believe later model with 3 litre was prone to electronic injector problems.

sr2, Jun 7, 8:26am
I have a good friend who bought a cheap ($2,500.00), high mileage, 3.1 Bighorn two years ago to drive for a month while he had his classic everyday driver panelled and painted. He??

alanaandjonny, Jun 8, 10:29am
Had a 92bighorn 3.1turb on a farm I worked on last year had 330kms on the clock oringal motor and box never had any probs with it except the front hubs would clunk wen put in 4x4 other then that it was a beast go anywhere and would Cruize along at 110 120 quite easy I wld buy one if I was after another suv with no worries at all

lynv, Jun 10, 10:02am
I had a 94 3.1 diesel Isuzu Bighorn automatic for 4 years sold it at just over 200km, it never missed a beat.Hubby has owned a 95 3.1 diesel Honda Horizon manual for the past 7 years, it has done 230,000km and still going strong, has no problems getting a warrant and is used almost every day. Its been a faithful old wagon

geminidragon, Jun 10, 9:26pm
oh no