2.8 pajero or 4.2 safari ?

graham32, Jul 3, 5:11am
looking at a daily driver and weekend 4wdriving, the safari i am looking at is tidy but has 380k and is a swb, (suprised at how small they are on the inside for a big truck) or a 4 door pajero 2.8 auto has new head, fuel pump and rad recently. The pajero would suit me better as it has more room, but the safari wuold be good if it was less kms.What your thoughts

bubbles52, Jul 3, 6:04am
Safari, Mitsi diesels are rubbish

graham32, Jul 3, 6:09am
so what do you call a decent diesel !

bubbles52, Jul 3, 6:10am
nissan or toyota

graham32, Jul 3, 6:20am
Toyota diesels are known for cracking heads also, so realistically a good cooling system should eliminate any chance of overheating, yes agree the 4d56 was crap

bubbles52, Jul 3, 6:39am
only the 2L-T

bubbles52, Jul 3, 6:40am
correct me if im wrong

franc123, Jul 3, 6:46am
What does your "daily driving" involve!If its simply commuting to and from work, shopping or taking kids to school the answer is neither of those vehicles are really suitable.Unless I had a specific need for a vehicle that large, or larger in the case of the Safari, I'd be looking at perhaps a petrol Suzuki Vitara or Escudo.They are equally as good off road, no nasty nuisance RUC's to worry about and quite economic on fuel too, at least in 4 cyl form.If high km's or heavy trailer towing was on the menu THEN you would look at larger diesels.Incidentally 380K is not particularly high kms for a Safari, unless its been abused, TD42's are also used in trucks and buses and are built how diesel engines should be, and for example don't have silly features like timing belts and alloy heads to give trouble.

graham32, Jul 3, 7:04am
so 380k is still okay ! has had oils done every 10k, the things that worry me is the drive train, bearings etc. Had a mate with 2.8 pajero and he had a great run with it.

franc123, Jul 3, 7:11am
Only a good prepurchase inspection is going to tell you that, the big factor here is what its been used for and whether axle and trans oils have been done regularly and not been contaminated with water.

msigg, Jul 3, 8:21am
Either would probably be OK especially if they only a couple of thousand dollars, At that many km if your spending anymore then i would forget it. Basically if one of them last a couple more years then you got your monies worth.

zephyrheaven, Jul 3, 8:23am
safari swb's are tits in the back, only buy it if you hate anyone that will ever have to ride more than a block in the back of it - but agree out of the two, the intrademutzish!th3eap isnt a contender

zephyrheaven, Jul 3, 8:24am
everyone jumps up & down about kms all the time - it makes me laugh, I guarantee if you had a good going over my Hilux you would estimate about 100K = when its done 507,000 happy miles

Get a grip

unclejake, Jul 3, 8:41am
You haven't said how many KMs the Pajero has done.

The thing that annoys me most on high KM cars is the windscreen wiper assembly, and the Nissan ones aren't tight or quiet at 100,000kms. Even so, the choice is a hard one. The 2.8 intercooled Pajeros drive very well, but the Nissan is a long lived beast

chris_051, Jul 3, 8:43am
ZD30 hand grenade or head cracking gutless 2.4t a better option then!
Out of interest you always read on here about how mitsi diesels are crap, I know the 2.5td are know to crack heads but what problems do the 2.8s give!

big.b-lil.c, Jul 3, 12:40pm
if its hard 4x4ing go the safari i had one for many years it's one of two vehicles i regret selling. the post 1990 (i think) had bigger rear seats no way would i buy the small seat model, only a child will fit in them and then kids grow fast so wont fit for ever. the 4.2 is more a plodder than a sprinter. otherwise read post 9 again its good advice. depending on your budget.

phillip.weston, Jul 4, 3:55am
same could be said about the 1KZ-TE, an engine which was regarded as being bulletproof is now earning a reputation the 2L-T gave. Soon it will be the 1KD-FTV doing the same in another 10-15 years.

grangies, Aug 27, 3:05am
I once spent the day sand-duning in a swb Safari.

I was a passenger in the back, along with a fox terrier and a pomeranian (sp).

Height of summer, in shorts and singlet. We we bouncing around all over the show, so I had to to hang onto the interior hand grips and the bloody dogs were trying for dear life to hang on to me! My bare legs, with their vicious little claws.

We'd hit a bump and they'd go flying off, then scratch and scrabble their way back onto me. :-(

I was so relieved to get out and ride a shitty old quad bike bike back to the road .

Got up the next day covered in sunburned dog scratches.