Is anyone going to want the old cars?

Page 1 / 4
singing1, Jun 14, 7:17am
I get the feeling that the arse is going to drop out of the vintage car price. When you look at who these sort of vehicles are attracting are they really going to be worth anything in a few years!

v8_mopar, Jun 14, 7:19am
yes - worth it

but some may get the re-power

phillip.weston, Jun 14, 7:21am
depends entirely on the car.

v8_mopar, Jun 14, 7:24am
and not the person

kdcentralni, Jun 14, 8:44am
I get the point OP, I have spoken to a few classic british and vintage car owners and realising the true value you have to sell to other like minded similar aged people, certainly not the younger guys coming through the skids should be legal tyres free mentality.

rob_man, Jun 14, 8:51am
Yeah, I've got the impression that any car with points and a coil and one that won't plug into a diagnostic machine or come up with a fault code is going to have as much appeal as a steam traction engine does to us baby boomers.

xacoon, Jun 14, 8:53am
speak for yourself, I would love a traction engine, and I ain't no baby boomer

rob_man, Jun 14, 8:57am
I can't see you numbering in the thousands coon. I also believe if it came down to a choice of what gets the time devoted to it your Falcon would win. I can't imagine you toiling away inside the boiler replacing copper tubes when the Falcon needs a Holley kit.

woody1946, Jun 14, 8:57am
Hmmm not happening so far, the vintage car clubs membership are mostly 'older', the under 50s are just not interested in cars that get along at 40mph

xacoon, Jun 14, 9:01am
oooh swearing on the message board, you will get a warning for using the h word. I will see to it haha. dunno I have a massey harris thats in line for a makeover, and once it gets started coons wont get a look in. there are still a lot of younger guys coming through that are right into the 70s era cars too, I think its the earlier stuff that will fall by the wayside.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 9:02am
Interesting analogy, although interestingly from what I have noticed good working traction engines have actually appreciated a bit of late.
Not seeing them around for $12'000 like I did 10 years ago and on ebay you can pay that for one in need of restoration and around 50K for a nice restored example.
Its hard to judge, in a way the advent of the internet has made owning/restoring that sort of gear much easier with the Global Village effect and that may have pushed the appeal and prices up.

Incidentally, my first car was a 32 Austin 10 and that was in the 90's, a guy I knew at School had a 30's Hudson too, so there is still some interest. That said itsa lot less interest than previous generations had though. it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. Veteran's are still fetching good coin so it may be a sign things will not be so bad.

xacoon, Jun 14, 9:04am
some of us are just not interested in car clubs full stop. too much of a pissing match with many of them, and the day I came home to find a local club member poking round my yard not seeming to think there was anything wrong with what he was doing has put me off clubs for life.

kdcentralni, Jun 14, 9:05am
Take the old Ford Y or 10 or any little upright from those days, relatively cheap now $5k for a real mint one, $1500 for an original unrestored (if garaged), I've seen them thats been viva underneatheded and running a 3k corolla, mk1 cortina dash widened gurds rodded or whatever, they go for good money. If a car has apeal it will fetch good dough, If I had a classic bentley or 28 Merc etc, I would sell it offshore about now.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 9:06am
I agree based on what you see at the VCC. However that may just be because "Clubs" in general are on the decline. Same thing is happening with Rotary, Lions, Mason's etc.
Dosn't mean that the new generation are not keen but prefer to do their networking online etc as fits with their busy lifestyle.
The old generation relied on the VCC for contacts for parts, swapmeets etc too and continue out of habit and tech illiteracy.

kdcentralni, Jun 14, 9:08am
The internet it's killing everything lol.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 9:08am
Ford Y's and the like were always cheap though. Just like Austin 7's were cheap and a dime a dozen. A Model A Ford of the same vintage however has appreciated steadily but modestly over the last few decades.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 9:09am
Not killing, more changing. Consider this and other motoring boards with high levels of access and collaboration didn't exist 20 years ago.

rob_man, Jun 14, 9:10am
What struck me as an anomaly was the MkII Daimler 2.5 saloon that sold on here last week for $6500. It was a nice tidy example and I thought it would get more than that.

nathanmac, Jun 14, 9:11am
a traction engine would be awesome - steam is the way of the future!so would a chain driven brass veteran roadster with no roof and top speed of a searing 25mph.but they still fetch a hefty price. there will always be a following but there's just such a vast range to choose from - a 1955 chev will always be more valuable than 55 morry minor, but rarer well built vehicles will always be sought after to some degree.skoda's - not so much.when i start seeing steel 32 ford roadsters plummeting in price due to lack of demand i'll be buying up big.

franc123, Jun 14, 9:11am
agree with you totally there coon, that sort of crap you don't need, along with the oneupmanship and petty politics, committee meetings and clique groups.I couldn't be bothered either.Not saying that this happens in all car clubs, or any other special interest group, but it happens far too often.

franc123, Jun 14, 9:13am
Doesn't surprise me at all, those things have always been regarded as the poor relation of the 3.8 Jags.

kdcentralni, Jun 14, 9:19am
Those MK2's are hard to sell, or realise good expected value, trust me I know, british cars in general are the same, except TR Triumphs, MG's there are some exceptions of coarse

trogedon, Jun 14, 9:40am
Its likely there will come a time in the not too distant future that Veteran cars won??

rob_man, Jun 14, 9:47am
Not even with pedals!

rob_man, Jun 14, 9:50am
On reflection it wasn't a highly desirable car, drab colour and no chrome wires. Just one of my soft spots is all, I loved the sound of those things when I was a teenager.