s.c, Jun 3, 1:26am
Red or green !
BMW 320Ihave been told to use green !

mugenb20b, Jun 3, 2:04am
95 octane

bellky, Jun 3, 2:18am
If it runs ok on 91 use it.

vtecnet, Jun 3, 4:39am
91 should be ok, but what shape 320i is it! E21,E30, E36, E46, etc.
I run my 325i on 95, since its still only costing another $2.50 approx when I get 50L of fuel.

bellky, Jun 3, 4:51am
Gull this weekend have 91 at $2.089 and 98 at $2.219 so 50 litres would be a saving of $6.50.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 5:22am
You can't work out a cost saving as above because the fuel economy will be different with each fuel.

IF the car is supposed to have high octane fuel THEN USE IT. You will not be saving any money in either the short or long term by running low octane in a car that is not designed for it.

The layperson cannot tell if their car is "running fine" on low octane fuel. If the car is not designed for it then it will not be "running fine" anyhow.

Also. don't rush and fill your car with Gull's rubbish E10 high octane unless you are certain that your car is safe to run on it. Even more important don't whatever you do use E10 for any kind of marine application. Their 91 is still regular fuel and O.K for use. so long as your car is designed for it.

Sorry if that sounds grumpy but really we have been over this subject time and again yet still people rush in with terrible advice. If someone with a direct injected vehicle reads this sort of nonsense they are likely to wind up with some seriously expensive repair bills.

So OP, as someone has already pointed out. Look up your year/engine and run it on what the manufacturer recommends.

Rant over.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 5:22am
You can't work out a cost saving as above because the fuel economy will be different with each fuel.

IF the car is supposed to have high octane fuel THEN USE IT. You will not be saving any money in either the short or long term by running low octane in a car that is not designed for it.

The layperson cannot tell if their car is "running fine" on low octane fuel. If the car is not designed for it then it will not be "running fine" anyhow.

Also. don't rush and fill your car with Gull's rubbish E10 high octane unless you are certain that your car is safe to run on it. Even more important don't whatever you do use E10 for any kind of marine application. Their 91 is still regular fuel and O.K for use. so long as your car is designed for it.

Sorry if that sounds grumpy but really we have been over this subject time and again yet still people rush in with terrible advice. If someone with a direct injected vehicle reads this sort of nonsense they are likely to wind up with some seriously expensive repair bills.

So OP, as someone has already pointed out. Look up your year/engine and run it on what the manufacturer recommends. If you list your year/engine here we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Rant over.

s.c, Jun 3, 7:32am
Thanks it's a 2002 sedan and I think its 2500 engine but it says on the rego paper cc rating 2170 I'm not sure I haven't had it very longI was running it on 91 but but put the other stuff in yesterday it seems to go better but I'm blonde so who knows
Thanks I just want to do the best thing for the car

s.c, Jun 3, 7:33am
I'm south island so normally only use BP or Shell didn't realise there was a difference in brands

spud1991, Jun 3, 7:57am
Should be using 95/98 rather than 91

theknightz, Jun 3, 7:57am
Blue

m16d, Jun 3, 8:22am
Green is Avgas and blue is Double "L".they are full of lead and neither should be used in a car.

mgmad, Jun 3, 8:40am
The comparison was between 91 and 95, not 91 and 98. Assuming 7c a litre and a fill of 50l, the difference in cost between 91 and 95 is $3.50. To work out if that is a saving you then need to know the difference in fuel economy.

s.c, Jun 3, 9:12am
I'm not so much worried about economy more about what's best for the engine

bellky, Jun 3, 8:48pm
The fuel economy will be the same.

bellky, Jun 3, 8:49pm
I'm aware of that. Have a look at my post - it says 91 and 98. There will be no difference in fuel economy.

by_hdt, Jun 3, 11:14pm
95 octane MINIMUM for most stuff out of europe, I tell my customers all the time and they still bring their euro heaps of shit in still running like crap and pinking its head off due to incorrect fuel

unbeatabull, Jun 3, 11:41pm
Have you done fuel tests to back this up and in what cars!

I'm just curious cause I have spent quite a bit of time testing different fuels in various cars as part of a project when I was studying @ Polytech, and my results differ. But curious to know what you have done and results you achieved :)

I'd be running 95 Minimum as well, Only things I'd put 91 into would be little old nanna cars from yesteryear like a Mazda Demio.

stusowry, Jun 3, 11:55pm
Would you put money on that, I'm prttey sure lower octanes can burn more fuel because they burn hotter.

stusowry, Jun 3, 11:58pm
My XR8 runs on 91 as reccomended by the manufacturer. I have heard of someone running theirs on 98 after having retuned it and they improved fuel economy. Dont know how true that is.

unbeatabull, Jun 4, 12:10am
Which year XR8! Can't say I can remember any of our Falcons being recommended to run on 91, even the XR6's.

stusowry, Jun 4, 12:16am
2000, last of the AU.

n1smo_gtir, Jun 4, 12:17am
Why on earth did the manufacturer build a grunty XR8 only to use the lowest grade fuel.

bellky, Jun 4, 12:36am
I ran my EB XR8 on 25 dollars worth of 91 every working day for 4 years ('04-'07). When I put 25 dollars worth of higher octane petrol in it, 25 dollars was no longer enough to do the daily round trip - hence 91 was more economical than the higher octane; definitely in terms of mileage per dollar, and I'm almost certain it was the equal of higher octane in terms of mileage per liter aswell.

bellky, Jun 4, 12:38am
The petrol price did vary at that time^ but I proved it on multiple occasions. Also, the car as far as I know needs to run on unleaded 91 or higher.