Yikes. 4WD rollover

blackcat17, Jun 3, 8:58pm
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7038975/Fireman-finds-best-friends-in-wreckage
Check out the roof, it hasn't been chopped by the Fire dept, just the way it collapsed. I have a mate who has a Pajero as the family car because its a "big safe 4WD". Yeah right.

berg, Jun 3, 8:59pm
Trees show no mercy

flack88, Jun 3, 9:26pm
That model Pajero is very strong in the roof actually ,know of two rollovers around here ,with good outcomes in those,as hes says trees, if your airborne dont give much,we dont know the speed involved in that accident.

mrfxit, Jun 3, 10:09pm
Going on the photo & the news story, heres a reasonable explanation of what happened .

Slid off the road at a reasonable speed flipped (probably rolled a couple of times) last roll put it on to it's side JUST before the roof section hit the tree.

Roof's are NOT designed to take a direct frontal shear impact
They are designed mostly to take a top loaded impact (landing upside down) impact.

yendor, Jun 4, 12:54am
Sad, but agree, most old 4x4's are death traps.

smac, Jun 4, 12:57am
You guys should be crash investigators with psychic abilities like that.

i-n-horz, Jun 4, 2:08am
The only dangerous vehicle is the one with an operator who drives beyond their ability.without the operator it'd just sit and rust back into earth.

red97, Jun 4, 2:24am
tragic, im a volunteer firefighter and thankfully crashes like this are rare in my area, have to agree with i-n-horz, i know nothing about this particular crash but it appears to have involved high speed and a very solid object, its doubtful if any vehicle would have fared much better in the circumstances, i would go as far as saying the vehicle probablyhad very little to do with the tradgedy

mrfxit, Jun 4, 6:25am
The precise reasons for the accident are often not clear or remain unsolved, BUT what bent/ cut/ folded what & the path of destruction, isgenerally fairly easy to work out.
Why the driver was in whatever known/unknown state of mind/ lucidity / soberness /drunk or not, to cause the vehicle to leave the road in that particular manner, is a very different process to working out what caused the DAMAGE.
No psychic abilities needed for the damage effect.

mugenb20b, Jun 4, 6:30am
But they are far better than regular cars of the same era.

mrfxit, Jun 4, 6:34am
Depends TOTALLY on the type of crash.

mantagsi, Jun 4, 7:14am
I feel a bit bad for saying it but what amazes me is the fact the headlamps were still operational after being on for 7 hours, must of had a good battery, and especially after seeing the condition of the vehicle, amazing the headlamps, battery and circuitry were still working. poor buggers, their fault or not it is still a sad event.

mrfxit, Jun 4, 7:21am
Yes it's pretty bad to hear of so many (well anybody) being klied alright, but aside from that, it's interesting to work out the physical aspects of the accident & at the same time, this can tell you if it was preventable or not or could the damage have been less & survivable if it was a different type of impact or vehicle or both

martin11, Jun 4, 7:51pm
No they are not theyroll easier

mrfxit, Jun 4, 8:12pm
Ummmm wellll DUH .
Higher off the ground
Commercial vehicle type & size tyres
Longer suspension travel
SELECTABLE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE (unlike an AWD)

4x4 TRUCK (they are NOT A CAR, altho a lot of ppl can't tell the difference)

A good part of the reason ppl get in to trouble with real 4x4's is that they try to treat them LIKE A CAR & even call them a car.
NOT A CAR, they are a small TRUCK.

geminidragon, Jun 4, 8:16pm
pajeros dont take corners very well i witnessed one out of control in town taking a corner ,like a understeer problem

the-lada-dude, Jun 4, 8:49pm
esp when your pissed

mrfxit, Jun 4, 9:07pm
Refer to #15.
It's a TRUCK

Not a race car.

mrfxit, Jun 4, 9:07pm
Spot on there.

therafter1, Jun 4, 10:31pm
Not very nice is it. A bit hard to tell from photos, but that looks very much like a short wheel base Pajero to me. Those things are a death trap if you get them out of shape you need a lot of room and a lot of luck to get them back into shape, so hopefully other drivers of these short wheel base remuera tractors will learn something from this nasty event.

flack88, Jun 4, 10:51pm
Well drive it accordingly ,as the man says not race car,hardly call that remuera tractor !