Holden help please

no1niki, Jun 4, 3:27am
Does anyone know why there might be oil in my water! We thought it might be the inlet gasket, but they dont usually go on a Holden, any ideas please. My brother just drained the water & filled it, i will take it for a drive later to see what happens.

granada, Jun 4, 3:33am
Transmission cooler!

carmedic, Jun 4, 3:45am
or head gasket(s)

carmedic, Jun 4, 3:46am
Also the inlet gasket might put water in oil but NOT oil in water.

noodle34, Jun 4, 3:48am
The inlet gaskets do go on holdens. I have a vt v6 supercharged and had to replace the inlet gaskets

carmedic, Jun 4, 3:50am
Quite right they do but in this case NOT the problem, check for water in trans fluid then take the heads off!

a.woodrow, Jun 4, 7:23am
What is it! in an effort to turn a profit, holden made more than one model of vehicle

no1niki, Jun 4, 9:46am
I will relay that carmedic. While my brother was here today briefly he had another quick look, realized YES it was trans oil NOT car oil so has guessed it has to be the radiator & will need to take that off & take it in to be fixed or get a new one! That would fit to as i had to top up the water twice in the space of a month so must be a crack somewhere down bottom!

bubbles244, Jun 4, 10:11am
Niki, The cooling system will only run at 10 odd psi, where as the oil travelling through the transcooler in the bottom tank of the radiator runs at a much higher pressure. thus forcing trans fluid into the radiator, when you turn the car off the oil pressure from the trans stops, but the residual pressure in the cooling system will not subside for a couple of hours, forcing water/antifreeze back into the trans cooler and it's lines.

Don't be concerned about people telling you to remove heads and change valley cover gaskets as leaking trans coolers are way more common then cracked or blown valley gaskets.

Replace your radiator/ or get it repaired.
get your transmission serviced, drained cleaned out and refilled with new filter.

If it was the valley cover gaskets on the engine or a cracked head you'd be having to put way more coolant in the system then just twice a month, you would have to do it almost every time you drove the car. And you would not get far without it over heating as the first place steam would accumulate in an air pocket is the valley cover or heads.

And as we know from the invention of the iron horse. Steam has the ability to move way more fluidly then water or oil, if the gaskets in your engine were damaged, Steam would be rising from the valley cover.

bubbles244, Jun 4, 10:11am
Niki, When cooling system will only run at 10 odd psi, where as the oil travelling through the transcooler in the bottom tank of the radiator runs at a much higher pressure. thus forcing trans fluid into the radiator, when you turn the car off the oil pressure from the trans stops, but the residual pressure in the cooling system will not for a couple of hours forcing water/antifreeze back into the trans cooler and it's lines.

Don't be concerned about people telling you to remove heads and change valley cover gaskets as leaking trans coolers are way more common then cracked or blown valley gaskets.

Replace your radiator/ or get it repaired.
get your transmission serviced, drained cleaned out and refilled with new filter.

If it was the valley cover gaskets on the engine or a cracked head you'd be having to put way more coolant in the system then just twice a month, you would have to do it almost every time you drove the car. And you would not get far without it over heating as the first place steam would accumulate in an air pocket is the valley cover or heads.

no1niki, Jun 4, 11:01am
Thank you so much bubbles, YES my brother had said it was the radiator this arvo & that he was going to come back & take off for me so i could take it in to be repaired, but i wondered if buying a new one would be better! Good stuff i will get the trans serviced also, think he was going to do that!
Yea it was in the dark i had turned up at his house as saw oil in my water before leaving home when i checked it & had to top it up as was half way down (so the light was due to come on anyway) & all he had was his cell phone torch lol.at the time he couldnt think why & although he said had to be the gasket, was also saying couldnt be as someone else had mentioned above about the water rather going into the oil. Today when he come over to look at it in the light realized it wasnt the gasket & was in fact the radiator & pretty much said what you just have. But wow so much more info you have explained, your a top guy ;0) There was a hose leak in it awhile back so i was forever topping up the water until got new hoses, it never overheated though & we did a few trips to Auckland, i wonder if this has caused this problem to!

granada, Jun 4, 11:42am
Fit an external transmission cooler as well so it doesnt happen again.

no1niki, Jun 5, 1:50am
Happen again.my god, ok will relay message, thank you ;0)