New Bike License Laws Coming

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, Jun 8, 2:05am
"8th June 2012

Do you have a motorcycle learner or restricted driver licence! Then some upcoming law changes will affect you.

On 1st October 2012, the new Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) will come into effect. The current maximum 250cc engine size limit will be replaced with an engine size and power-to-weight ratio limit. Under the scheme, learner and restricted riders will be able to ride the following motorcycles:

Any motorcycle with an engine capacity of 250cc or less with a power-to-weight ratio greater than 150kW/tonne (LAMS-prohibited list of models).

Any motorcycle with an engine capacity of 660cc or less with a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 150kW/tonne (LAMS-approved list of over 100 models). The lists will be updated by the NZTA as new models become available. What this means for you as an inspector is that you will be able to test far more motorcycles for WoF than currently. More detailed information and the lists will be available on www.nzta.govt.nz/LAMS"

Yikes

don_logan, Jun 8, 2:16am
Resale of 250cc bikes will drop like a stone.

sifty, Jun 8, 2:31am
depends on the bike really.

smac, Jun 8, 2:54am
Depends on the rule too - I have seen it written as both 150kW per tonne inclusive of rider and exclusive. If it's inclusive, then I don't think any 250cc bikes will be banned. But if it's exclusive then yeah several will be banned for novice riders. SO depends what they choose to implement.

wellystretch, Jun 8, 2:57am
Makes much more sense, brings us up to speed with Australia and allows many more larger riders such as myself (6'7") to ride in comfort.

wellystretch, Jun 8, 2:59am
They're banning those two-stroke power demons such as the TZRs (49hp) etc. for learners. Here's the list of approved bikes from Australia, haven't had a thorough look over it but seems like it will be the same here:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycles/Learner+approved+motorcycles

smac, Jun 8, 3:14am
Ya I know, that's the list that's been floating around for a while.

However the latest description I've seen said that the power to weight ratio included a 90kg allowance for rider and bike. If they do that, then those bikes are under the 150kW per tonne.

wellystretch, Jun 8, 3:24am
So, eat lots of Mcdonalds, get to ride a GSXR600!

Good to see they're dropping the 70km/h learners restriction too, doesn't do a thing.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 8, 3:28am
70k/hr has been gone since LAST october.

bitsy_boffin, Jun 8, 3:31am
Do you have to actually have a 6F to do a WOF on a larger than 250 currently!So if you have a 6L/R and somebody rocks up on his litre bike, you got to say "sorry, can't do a WOF"!

sifty, Jun 8, 3:36am
So a close ratio box Gold Star is suitable for a learner.!

wellystretch, Jun 8, 3:42am
Ah, ok.

doug207, Jun 8, 10:01am
On my 6L I got a WoF on; 3 400s, 2 250s and 1 650.

doug207, Jun 8, 10:03am
Technically.

The LAMS law we've copied has some flaws in it, there are a few bikes left out (heaps in fact) that should be legal and one or two that shouldn't be.
But, it is a huge step in the right direction

noswalg, Jun 8, 9:24pm
has to be 660cc or under

richynuts, Jun 9, 3:27am
yesaIT490 for a learner.hmm

zooki007, Jun 9, 5:01am
Does anyone know what the actual approved bike list is yet! Any link to it!

zooki007, Jun 9, 5:03am

bitsy_boffin, Jun 9, 6:50am
I was talking about giving a WoF (ie, being an inspector), not getting one.

richynuts, Jun 9, 10:44pm
Surprised to see the SV650on the list.

pebbles61, Jun 9, 10:47pm
About bloody time too.

pebbles61, Jun 9, 10:48pm
Wait WTF, they're banning all the L and R riders from using the two strokes! what a bunch of kill joys!

But wait, they're allowed to ride a GSXR-600 according to this list lol.unless it's meant to be a GSX as opposed to an 'R'

richynuts, Jun 9, 10:58pm
The good thing about banning learners riding 250 2 strokes is there maybe alot better maintained examples out there at a fair price now. I think there is alot of bikes that should not be on the list and some that should be, may take awhile to get it sorted properly.

pebbles61, Jun 9, 11:07pm
If they're worried about power they should put all HD's on the list =D

richynuts, Jun 9, 11:13pm
Yeah just noticed that. I think the SV650SU is the restricted model which also only comes out in blue, so maybe suzuki have a restricted GSXR600U also.