$$$ for brake skimmed

gilligan2, Jul 14, 8:42am
Normally 15 dollars per disc at bnt invercargill.

grangies, Jul 14, 8:43am
Why do they need to be skimmed!

grangies, Jul 14, 8:52am
Bugger.

A car like that shouldn't really need it's brakes skimmed.

You could get them done, then 6 months later or less, it might happen again.

Check the body hasn't had a frontal accident, and then just been slapped back roughly together.

kazbanz, Jul 14, 8:52am
It will cost you about $50 (retail) if you pull the disks off yourself.
Given you are keeping the car for awhile it might pay to replace the disks for around $200.
Incidently --this time of year is a bit of a mare on the disk warp front for big/heavy cars. The disks get pretty hot then ya hit a big ol puddle anbd you're back to square one again

jezz43, Jul 14, 8:56am
had the same issue with my VT commodore. kaz gave me some solid advice and the dealer replaced the discs and i replaced the pads. i priced up skimming here in new plymouth and it was $45 per disc. a new set of discs cost the dealer $220

kazbanz, Jul 14, 9:02am
red--relax thats pretty unlikely. Look I've sold heaps of them commodores.
They are heavy carsso hard on front disks so slightly warped disks is normal enough not to be panicking

grangies, Jul 14, 9:06am
Sorry. Wasn't meaning to freak you out.

It may be just the person before you owned it was a hard case driver and neglected the brake maintainence

So a reco on your brakes will sort it.

But if a rough panelbeater has forced a semi-hard frontal accident back together, then the whole body will be out of line with the subframe bolts.

There is plenty of useless mongrels out there that just line up the body panels roughly, and don't even look at the under body.

johnf_456, Jul 14, 9:06am
Second what kazbanz has said, do it once do it right

franc123, Jul 14, 9:10am
Oh for goodness sake, brake shudder is a common problem with late model Commodores, its not likely to have been caused by accident damage.Get both front wheels off it and get someone with a vernier caliper, or even better one made for measuring brake rotors and see how thick the rotor is at its thinnest point, all brake rotors have a new thickness and a discard thickness, if its 1mm or less above the minimum thickness get some new ones fitted and pads too if they are getting low, they aren't worth machining if they are at this level.Its money you may as well put toward new ones, once they get too thin any warpage or variation in the rotor thickness, DTV as its known in the trade, is more likely.If of course they are considerably above minimum thickness by all means get them shaved just enough to eliminate the shudder.

grangies, Jul 14, 9:19am
Proof of being an under-engineered shitebox then!

johnf_456, Jul 14, 9:51am
Holden are tops to some here

kazbanz, Sep 11, 3:10pm
ford falcons of the same age get 70 k to a set of disks. BMW owners just acept disk wear is normal -so nahh