L200 gearbox

fryan1962, Jun 11, 6:03am
I have a 5 speed manual in a diesel ute behind a 4d56

I had flat battery so decided to roll start in reverse it appears to be a bad idea
small bang no reverse or fifth gear.so question is what have I broken! is it better just to replace or repair!

yogibearz, Jun 11, 7:33am
Four wheel drive or two ! Either way drop the sump off the bottom, real easy and see what comes out and what you can see inside the box. Broken teeth and metallic particles coming out means big $

fryan1962, Jun 11, 7:50am
its a 2wd,I have done some searching online.maybe linkage

wimwom, Jun 11, 8:01am
Idler!Internals on many of those are all the same.Catch is i'm not so sure about diesel The petrol ones used the same internals as the old 5 speed sigma's.
I have a feeling those two gears use the same idler.Been a while though!Good luck.

wimwom, Jun 11, 8:06am
Maybe its spat the nut that holds the gears on the shaft, another big problem with those too.Can you pull the inspection plate off!

fryan1962, Jun 11, 8:15am
I will tomorrow another box is $500

wimwom, Jun 11, 8:22am
I just remembered i used a old petrol stationwagon gearbox internals in a diesel pajero i had, they will fit.Often the nut i spoke of was welded back after coming loose, the result of putting lots of pressure on itis exactly what you have now.Certainly be worth taking pan off and checking as repairs can be done in place.Good luck.

shane038, Jun 11, 8:54pm
No reverse or 5th I would suggest broken cluster behind middle bearing :(

shane038, Jun 11, 8:55pm
Btw you can't see 5th or reverse from taking the pan off.

fryan1962, Jun 12, 7:15am
ok ill just replace it

pettal, Jun 12, 7:53am
Floor or on the tree shift !.

wimwom, Jun 12, 8:35am
If it's done as i suspect you will find the traces in the bottom though.

fryan1962, Jun 12, 12:19pm
floor 5 speed

fryan1962, Jun 13, 8:05am
ok bought one on trade me seller has not replied.and feedback he has had dramas with another buyer