I have a 17 year old son who is good at and likes

kucoo, Jun 11, 1:05pm
installing car audio systems, alarms etc, weve been looking at various courses but they all involve mechanics which he isnt really interested in, is there a specific course in the Waikato or BOP that specifies in this or would he have to do mechanics too! if so does anyone know what the best one would be!

falcon15, Jun 11, 7:22pm
auto electrical!

jason18, Jun 11, 10:17pm
Why not approach a few companies and see if your son can get a job there and learn and earn. If he is any good they will be keen to keep him on and maybe he can get put through his courses (through them) for free!

jason18, Jun 11, 10:18pm
Even work experience and he can prove that he is good for a job there!

kazbanz, Jun 11, 11:20pm
I'd reccomend calling Mongoose NZ,AVS nz and the other quality alarm importers. Supply an abrieviated CV to them. They are likely to hear which of their installers is looking for a gopher/trainee

strobo, Jun 12, 6:58am
AVS is going places from cars to fleettrucks & buses . not just alarms but gps tracking & other systems

safteystv, Jun 12, 9:30am
auto sparky course will be best, electrical engineer then he design and build his own systems, meet some alarm installers you don't know much at all , beaware of modren safety equipment , use heat shrink and solder please. contact http://www.vehiclesecurity.co.nz/ this guy knows his trade

bigfatmat1, Jun 12, 9:40am
most alarm installers gps installers are cowboys and their work is of sub standard trades man quality. Auto electrical trade maybe a better career path but will still have to learn a lttle about mechanics in order to achieve this trade.

writy, Jun 12, 10:04am
AUSTRALIA ! man i only wish i was 17, i would so be gone.

trdbzr, Jun 12, 10:08am
http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.aspx!id0=30103&id1=094F6E18-1A5F-459B-AB10-30B9AC93D19E

Its better if your son becomes qualified rather than just learning from watching other auto sparkys work, because when applying for a job in the future, a qualification(s) will help a lot more. Cars are becoming more 'electrical oriented' and with hydrogen powered and self driving cars coming in the future, I actually won't be surprised if in a few decades a job for someone with a physics degree will be a 'mechanic'. If hes good at maths and physics then he should go to uni and do a electrical engineering degree, he can easily get a part time job doing alarm, audio installs etc whilst in uni and he will have a lot more opportunities in the decades to come.

franc123, Jun 12, 10:17am
Thats because they aren't tradesmen and all their work is done to a price, most of this stuff gets thrown in as sweeteners for used car buyers by dealers who won't pay qualified staff.But you probably already knew that.