Is there a way to convert a Jap built-in car TV to

j_fung9007, Jun 10, 7:23am
Hi all, just got myself a Jap import recently which comes with a big screen in the center console (it does NAV, parking cameras, TV and etc). Am just wondering is there a way to convert this Japanese TV to NZ watchable TV without spending a lot of money! I can pick up some channels at the moment but obviously not watchable. I couldn't find any info on google, I thought I might give this board a try.

andrea_w, Jun 10, 7:24am
Simple answer, no.

saffa2, Jun 10, 7:25am
You need to find a nerd.

mantagsi, Jun 10, 7:35am
Nerds wont help, you need to find that rapper guy who used to do the pimp my ride show on TV. ie; chuck a whole new PAL lcd screen & tuner / carpc to run it. The Jap NTSC gps/tv/screen setup is almost useless in NZ sorry :)

gammelvind, Jun 10, 7:58am
My son is a nerd, he tried this way and that, the short answer is no.

horsepower7, Jun 10, 8:05am
nope, altho some bmws get chanels that you can watch.

shane.64, Jun 10, 8:21am
You need to get a NTSC converter to PAL

gadgit3, Jun 10, 8:54am
It has been done. Not cheap if you can't do it your self and no real point now as soon we will loose VHF and it'll all be digital so theres another expense. You can fit up a NZ system for far less then a conversion.

fordcrzy, Jun 10, 8:57am
the jap TV stations use a different audio/video carrier split so even if you could get a channel tuned in on the video.there would be no sound.

the toyota units have an auxillary video input (NTSC) so if you push the TV button twice it comes up with "Video".
i hooked up a WDTV unit to mine. it is great! music and video all stored on a 320 gig hard drive.

aredwood, Jun 10, 9:07am
Only (easy) way I can think of is to get a video sender from the US - they use NTSC over there like Japan. You will have to check that one of the frequencies that it transmits on is the same as the Japanese TV frequencies. Then get a freeview decoder that can output in NTSC and plug it into the video sender.

I would still recommend removing the system and getting an NZ one. When the govt switches off the analogue TV channels the frequencies they use will be reused for cellphones or wireless internet - there will be masses of interference on your jap TV when this happens.

fordcrzy, Jun 10, 9:10am
YOU CANNOT TUNE TO A NEW ZEALAND STATION!

THE VIDEO AND SOUND HAVE A DIFFERENT CARRIER SPLIT!

END OF ARGUEMENT!

your only hope is that your stereo has an aux video input that you could hook up a cheap 12volt freeview decoder to.

nathanmac, Jun 10, 12:02pm
Really interested in how you achieved this and costs involved etc.We've just bought an Ipsum ourselves and would like to get a dvd player working etc.Saw the pics you put up of what you built a while back.

Or maybe you should start building those units and sell them on Trademe.!

ema1, Jun 10, 11:15pm
NTSC to PAL converters are available from the UK.
I've seen a converted unit running perfectly.
Google the subject .there's heaps of info on the conversion process.
Even SECAM (a French transmission system)can be converted I believe.

ema1, Jun 11, 12:52am
Check this link.it's one of many. There's even a Freeview in car converter set up.
http://www.threedoubleyou.com/car-tuner.htm
What I'm talking of is shown about 1/2 to 2/3rds the way down the website.
Cheers.

geedubu, Jun 11, 1:12am
That's interesting, first real info I've seen in dozens of threads on this topic.are you sure the UK Freeview works!NZ Freeview decoder may well be different from UK Freeview.

sred69, Jun 11, 5:53am
Uk and NZ freeview are differentso wouldn't work.

richardmayes, Jun 11, 6:04am
Getting the multifunction nav/parking cameras etc to work - good luck. A dedicated hi-fi / car audio store might be able to help!

But as far as watching TV on it. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have television in a car in NZ, mounted anywhere that the driver can see the screen or operate the controls.!

fordcrzy, Jun 11, 6:41am
its pretty easy really you just plug your media player into the aux port which is located on the center console bit down by the passnger footwell.
i used a WDTV media player as you can hack the firmware and increase he text size etc for easy reading on the move.it also runs on 12 volts. any of the cheap media players would do the job as long as they output NTSC and operate on 12 volts or less. i am very seriously considering building up a "raspberry" computor and running XBMC on it in the car which may be a bit snappier when navigating etc.
i just stripped out the factory nav box and put the media player and hard drive into it for a stealth install. all operated from thestock WDTV remote control.
you could wire up a free view decoder if it could work on 12 volts and hide an aerial in there or hook in to the cars inbuilt aerial.
if i could perfect the raspberry/xbmc build then i reckon there would be a good market for them at around $250-$300

ace_me1, Jun 11, 10:24am
It can be done and there was a guy selling the units on trademe. I have imported some digital freeviewtuners before for my cars. Just need the right plugs or if you have rca inputs in your factory system you can plug it straight in. Future proof freeview in your car is possible

nathanmac, Jun 11, 11:09am
Most of that went about 5 metres over my head.But if you can build something up for about that price I don't think I'd even try and piece something together myself.

It just seems a shame to have that screen sitting there without it being fully utilised - although we bought one of these Ipsums mainly for the reversing camera (although the front camera sure pays for itself - garage is a bit stuffed full of cars at the moment, so I've trained her indoors to pull up and stop just as the front of the chassis of the pickup appears on either side of the screen - brilliant!)

Navigation doesn't bother me too much, but a DVD player for those 'can we stop at the supermarket for a pound of butter that becomes a 3/4 hour shopping trip' moments, and longer trips.

fordcrzy, Jun 12, 7:01am
just check down in the passengers footwell and there is a 110V outlet and the aux in plugs. just hook in anything that outputs NTSC and hit the TV button twice. there is also a mod you do to the stereo so it stays on when driving. you cut the speed sensor wire and cut/ground the handbrake wire into the stereo

crash01, Jun 12, 7:47am
we have a nissan that as a jap speaking to us we do not have a clue what she is saying is there a way we can have this cut of

xs1100, Jun 12, 8:45am
get in touch with domain stereos,they have a new gps/dvd/wha wha unit thats loaded with nz maps and so on