Subaru diff issue

huntress34, Jun 6, 2:02am
My 96 Lancaster has had a shuddering problem on turning which a mechanic told me was the central diff and was not worth fixing - too expensive. But I read in an ad for another Subaru that this guy had had the same issue and it was the 4WD solonoid, and he replaced that and it was all good. Does anyone have any info on this which will help me to decide whether to trash the car or fix it!

tazcsv, Jun 6, 2:47am
Alot of subarus have this problem, would pay to get someone who works on them alot to tell you the good or bad news before you bin it.

mechnificent, Jun 6, 3:17am
The solenoid is only in the autos. if yours is an auto then it could be the trouble.You can test is(sort of), by fitting a fuse somewhere, often under the bonnet, to the FWD fuse holder. look in the owners manual. The fuse is for towing. If fitting the fuse fixes the symptom, then it isn't the solenoid, it is a valve or the computer or something else.
Best to get it looked at by someone that knows subarus.

alltorque350, Jun 6, 5:51am
Rear duty solenoid. Whole job about $500.

scholock, Jun 6, 9:09am
Get atrans flush done properly, with correct fluid, generally maxlife ATF, 9 times out of 10 problem fixed.Caused by lack of servicing to transmisson, oil breaking down, very common.

alltorque350, Jun 6, 10:22am
Unless the clutch drum has grooves worn in it from the stuck clutch plates