Broken cambelt

jessie169, Jun 5, 5:37am
ive got a 1988 honda legend 2.0l 4cy.does anyone know wether it would of bent the valves or is there enough clearance in these engines to get away with it!,,,,whats the easyst way to tell!its mission getin tappet cover off.

a.woodrow, Jun 5, 5:39am
Don't see how it's a mission to get the tappet cover off!

panicky, Jun 5, 5:40am
Legend 4cyl!They are all 6cyl

morrisman1, Jun 5, 6:00am
didn't they come out in a 4 cylinder turbo!

mugenb20b, Jun 5, 6:00am
2.7 V6 came out n/a and turbo, both were pieces of shit. I haven't seen 4 cylinder engines in Legends before.

marte, Jun 5, 6:04am
Lets hope the oil pumps not driven off the camshaft.

marte, Jun 5, 6:34am
If the oil pump is driven off the camshaft & when the belt broke, the driver kept turning the engine over.
The engine runs out of oil & seizes.

A mate had it happen on his 80's Honda.

mugenb20b, Jun 5, 6:38am
I highly doubt that would happen, as there's enough oil in the crank bearings to provide boundary lubrication. Unless, someone keeps winding the engine over for 2 hours non stop.

carlz05, Jun 5, 6:44am
I don't think they have enough clearance, you'll likely have bent valves.

marte, Jun 5, 6:46am
Nah, it did seize, he did keep turning it over but stopped when he relised it wasn't going to start.

I can't actually remember what part did seize.

The mech who replaced the cambelt said it was "50/50 if the engine was still any good any more".

jessie169, Jun 5, 6:55am
ermmmmm yes it is a v6 but a 2.0l.so you recon the valves will be toast!

marte, Jun 5, 7:18am
Ahh, its all more than I know.

1ollie, Jun 5, 8:06am
All of the Hondas that I have worked on that have had broken cam belt all bent at least 2 valves! prepare for bad news

dent, Jun 5, 8:09am
Yes there would have to be some fair cranking befor the engine would run out of lubrication. I think the battery would give up first.