VP SS Commodore

gooddealz2, Jul 18, 11:12am
Just interested to know what cost it should be per kilometre.I know what the answer is in my case but i'm beginning to think it's way more than it should be even taking the cost of petrol into account.Town running is what I'm interested in.If you did say 200km's per week how much would it cost!Beginning to think it may have a problem.160,000km's,always-
serviced,no obvious leaks or petrol smell.

thunderbolt, Jul 18, 11:24am
Father in laws VY SS averages approx 14l per 100k. Mix of city and country though.

outbidyou2, Jul 18, 11:28am
$62.50 @ 200km p/wk

outbidyou2, Jul 18, 11:31am
or maybe $72.50

If you don't like it, get a Corolla

franc123, Jul 18, 11:52am
For a start, forget how many k's you are getting to the dollar, quote some km per LITRE or else how many litres per 100km you are getting.Realistically anything greater than about 16-17L/100k urban would be cause for concern and thats being fairly easy on it.Unless the car has a fault like a stuck thermostat, crook ECT or oxygen sensor aggravating fuel economy you have to accept that using a 5L engine as a shopping car is not going to be economical, even a 3.8 version of that model would be hard pressed to do better than 12-13 in pure urban running.A good old fashioned tune up might be in order assuming the above is OK.

gooddealz2, Jul 18, 1:26pm
We've had the car 4 years but just get the general impression it's not doing as well as it should or used too.Might have to fill it up and work it out for sure but it would be higher than 16-17l/100k.Interested in possible causes so Thanks franc123 and as for outbidyou2 I think I'll leave the Corolla in your capable hands.

pollymay, Jul 18, 2:58pm
I actually don't get that bad an economy once I got used to it, with the big heavy mass and auto trans I can glide for ages up to intersections and roundabouts and generally if no one is behind burble along at 40 in town.

However I've also done a lot of things since I got it like inlet manifold gaskets to eliminate air leaks, thermostat, new diff oil, pinion seal, cleaned the intake tract, new water, new oil, replaced cracked aging hoses, set tyre pressures regularly, new suspension bushings all round, good tyres and drive fairly easy most of the time as well as taking car of any codes it had. In the long run it saves money cause everything just runs right and less chance of failures. Also having done all the seals it doesn't leak oil especially the diff which adds to the cost of motoring especially when you are spending $40 on oil every now and then for the sake of a $6 seal and couple hours work over a beer (roughly $2 worth :P). It has been a decent reliable work wagon so far to.

gooddealz2, Aug 6, 12:25am
Thanks guys for your help.It was the oxygen sensor.I wouldn't have believed it could make so much difference.Appreciated.

guest, Sep 25, 10:39pm
While John prepares his post on Rothbury I thuhgot I'd share my experience at this years Mayhem Fest (briefly..).Top 3 Performances (no order):Black Dahlia MurderSlayerTriviumTop 3 Bands I'm just getting tired of:Killswitch Engage (who remembers the original singer?)Bullet for My Valentine (John's favorite)Cannibal Corpse (for whatever reason the band was not as enthusiastic as smaller band performances, such as God Forbid.)I didn't stay for Marylin Manson, nor did a good portion of the crowd. Slayer should have headlined, but by the time Manson was up it was 2 AM and I had a drive to make, so eh .

guest, Sep 26, 5:49pm
I know how you feel Jon I've been in the same boat for the past year. Everynight I feel like I got something going on. No more going home after work. It's slownig down just recently. Thank God.And yes, I did know about Outlook 2007 (2003 does also) using winword for rendering HTML. Many many crashes in Outlook start as a result of winword.exe process hanging after viewing HTML mail. They also have been known to call it WordMail , referring to using Word as the HTML renderer.