To import a classic truck or not

sas777, Jul 11, 4:17am
Am looking into importing a truck like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/Ford_Transcontinental_4435_at_Donnington_Park_09_-_IMG_6150small.JPG

but before I do has anyone seen one on the roads in NZ, or even better knows one for sale! Shipping from Pomland is approx. £7800 roll-on roll-off (cough choke) or half that if I get the cab removed and palleted.
The Ford Transcontinental was not a big seller in the UK, with better sales seen in Europe. It was built to take the higher weight limits promised to hauliers, but were not raised in the truck's lifetime (1975 - 84ish). So as a heavy truck it was unpopular, also the drivetrain was made up of imported US components which lacked substantial dealer back-up. I'm thinking some trucks might have been brought in, as the design would have made sense in NZ.

fordcrzy, Jul 11, 4:36am
okso why the heck would you want to!

bellky, Jul 11, 4:43am
Sorry sas777 but this is my question too.

sas777, Jul 11, 5:01am
Why do I want one!
I served my apprenticeship working on trucks like this, and have always liked them. I already have a couple of big trucks including a 6 wheel V10 Merc which I have built into a housetruck.
If or when I buy a Transco I do have some uses for it, which should more than pay for the running costs.

poppajn, Jul 11, 5:33am
I would imagine you would have a big job to get it certified as they were never sold in NZ. Everyrhing I,ve read about them in English truck magazines is they were a terrible truck, (mind you, what english Ford was,nt). Also virtually everything you needed would have be imported, 'can,t imagine a lot of part,s being compatibile. other than some running gear.

bitsy_boffin, Jul 11, 5:36am
Don't forget to add GST to that (and the purchase price).

horsygirl, Jul 11, 5:50am
Only ford part was the chassis/ suspension.motor was cummins with roadranger gearbox and rockwell diffs.Cab was renault berliet.The bulk of the truck was common componentry.even the brakes were rockwell stopmaster.Import it if your heart is in it.

horsygirl, Jul 11, 5:51am
Also have Merc v10.ours is x NZ Army and is 6x6.whole lot of truck.

sas777, Jul 12, 12:55am
Yep, certification would be difficult - eg I downloaded the NZTA file for the Heavy Braking rule and still can't fathom it. That's why I thought maybe some did come into this country, and even a rough one with dead plates would be an ideal starting point. The spare parts story is easier mind you, as Ford made the truck up from outside sourced components when panicked by news Bedford were making the TM. From my work here in the drilling industry I've seen all the US mechanical parts in abundance. The chassis was from the Louiseville and as someone mentioned, the cab came from Berliet. I have seen a Berliet in the Timaru port woodyard a year ago.
As for it being a bad truck, yes and no. Most literature re these originates in the UK so yes parts WERE a problem. Dealer back up was hard to find. The truck was too big and heavy for the 70's roads (always stood out on motorways being so tall.) The only fair criticism was the cab being so softly sprung, when braking hard the driver could read his own numberplate

sas777, Jul 12, 1:00am
Actually it's probably VAT, which someone told me has gone up AGAIN. Just don't want to think about it.

bitsy_boffin, Jul 12, 1:04am
Nope, GST, when it hits NZ shores, customs will give you a bill for 15% GST on the purchase price + shipping price, converted to NZ$ at their current rate.

sas777, Jul 12, 1:07am
Oh, didn't know that re the brakes, always thought it was WABCO parts.
Yep, sure do want one, even more so as it could be the only one in the country.

sas777, Jul 12, 1:12am
Love my Merc, it sounds brilliant wound up! Mind you it doesn't work very hard, the truck only grosses at 14 tonnes.

Yours is a 6x6 eh. Mmmm have you a spare front axle and transfer case you would sell for mine!

yuuhoo, Jul 12, 7:29am
There was a Renault [can't be bothered looking for the spelling] on trade me awhile back that had a Cummins in it same cab and close spec we wouldn't tell any one it wasn't a real one would we guys!
Always thought they would have done well here with the euro cab and US drive line.

poppajn, Jul 12, 8:06am
Can see you in one Mike, you could call it "Blue Pom"

yuuhoo, Jul 12, 9:07am
That was lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut

sas777, Jul 12, 9:19am
That's exactly my reasoning, thinking maybe one or a few more came into the country.
The Renault (you spelled it right) used a lower cab, set lower down in the chassis but otherwise yep I could cheat.

yuuhoo, Jul 13, 9:25am
Pretty sure none came here look how long it took Ford to sell the Louiseville here when T Lines and the like were so popular and they competed with a rebadged Hino. Not knocking the Hinobut they had a truck of their own that did sell quite well when it finallly came here.

bmc460, Jul 13, 10:00am
theres a renault on trademe now.cummins motor.tractor unit

horsygirl, Jul 16, 5:47am
Renault R310 cab shell same as Ford Transcontinental.

sas777, Jul 16, 8:32am
Hi guys, thanks for the interest, appreciate it.
Yep the Renault cab is the same basic shell, but with shorter doors and it's also fitted down deeper into the chassis:

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/238696/R310-23.05.08.4.jpg

I remember seeing a few of the Renaults on the motorways, they stood out as tall trucks, just not as tall as the Transco. But this can be changed.
Because of the huge cost and hassle of bringing an original one over here, I will buy a Renault and build it into a replica (like someone suggested.) I can make up the bumper myself, just need a panelbeater willing to have a crack at the doors and rear skirt.

godfreybunch, Jul 17, 7:20am
sas777 why dont you import just the cab and put onto a Renault c&c