Car rental questions

zak410, Jul 12, 12:07am
We have some overseas visitors coming to see us around Xmas and we've been asked to find a cheap rental Co for them.

Does anyone know of a good and cheap car rental company!

Also, I have been told that some rental Co do not insure their cars if they travel on metal roads, does anyone know if that apply to all the companies!

twink19, Jul 12, 12:46am
what they dont know wont hurt them,rent a dent

zak410, Jul 12, 5:18am
I know.
but a few years ago we had some visitors from Europe that found out the hard way their rental car wasn't insured on metal road when they went off one, into a ditch Raglan way, and did more damage than a rent a dent could fix.
It was a very expensive mistake and why I am asking here if anyone know if the same rule applies to all rental companies.
Also, our friends are coming to see us and we also live on a metal road.

red97, Jul 12, 5:50am
every car ive rented here and in australia had very specific no insurance cover for gravel roads clauses. i imagine you could get a higher excess policy that would allow it.

grangies, Jul 12, 6:52am
Give this company a call, and see what they say.

I work on their vehicles from time to time, and know the owners personally,,,, The are very down to earth folk.

http://www.northlandrentals.co.nz/rental-vehicles/

coolnzmum, Jul 12, 6:59am
Ace Rentals if in your area.We always use them now in both Aussie and NZ and get excellent service from them.

merrigj, Jul 12, 7:07am
I think you could hire a 4wd for gravel roads they are always offering them for skiers.

zak410, Jul 12, 9:18am
Thanks for your replies and leads,
I'll contact these Northland firms, cheers.

neville48, Jul 12, 9:27am
Methinks there are some roads that are nominated by the rental companies that you are not allowed to take a rental car on ; ie, skippers canyon and I think Cardrona road so there is possibly a few others too.