Cambelt replacement on '97 RS Legacy

Page 2 / 2
desmodave, Jun 29, 7:15am
The blue zeph closed up for a while but goin down to westy today it looks like its up and runing again .

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 7:34am
That place is on my bucket list this summer

bad_boy_1, Jun 29, 12:09pm
ive owned 3 cars fordriving and wrecked 5 for parts just a gasket alone was 79 for a tt on trademe sca are 120 for just a gasketbut if yo replace the rest then the cost goes up

hijacka, Jun 29, 12:38pm
A true mechanic that knows Subaru will only use genuine parts or better.My headgasket cost $400 for both. and you do both sides when you replace head gasket not just 1 side lol. plus you would need to replace cam cover gaskets and rubber washers and you would usually replace cambelt etc if near or over the due date.
I Spent about 1g on parts alone at Subaru to do mine and thats not including the $400 for headgaskets
Ballpark price.
all idle bearings/ tensioner 400
cambelt 130
4x camseals 60
2xcamcover gaskets 80
12x rubber cam washers 20
water pump and thermostat 160
front oil seal 20
rear main seal 40
Other misc parts include cam belt cover gaskets, oil pump 0rings, Half moon gaskets and Grey sealant etc.

Its also recommended buy Subaru that you change your oil pump at 100,000km intervals which might be included in neo_psy price.
IMO I have never seen the need to replace the oil pump on a standard Subaru unless its run a bearing or needs upgrading to a bigger 11mm or 12mm pump.

zephyrheaven, Jul 4, 6:36am
Wouldnt have hurt to call & cancel the job you booked in for Tuesday - only set aside a few other jobs / shuffled customers for you - but I digress