WB one-tonner question

thedevil1, Jun 26, 10:11am
id like to fit duals on the rear of my WB flatdeck. mainly for the purpose of stability when its fitted with a campervan on the back.
any recommendations for fitting and who and where would i get it done please! im in the waikato area

dave653, Jun 26, 10:34pm
Have you thought about the local 4wd center. With the extra weight, the original diff housing may not be heavy enough. Just a thought.

lyonruge, Jun 26, 10:40pm
the wheels are usually on the ground, how can their weight effect the diff housing!

morrisman1, Jun 26, 10:57pm
perhaps unsprung weight and oscillations when a heavier mass gets thrown upwards by a bump. What happens when you have two bags of sugar joined by a straw then lift one up! It flexes the joining component - the straw or in the case of the ute, the diff housing.

I have no specific experience with that but it is what I suspect would be happening.

net_oz, Jun 26, 10:59pm
Remember way way back in the 70's when cockies were fitting duals to their Mazda and Datsun utes. Caused all sorts of associated problems at the rear.

thedevil1, Jun 26, 11:53pm
ok, what about another axle then. so there would be twin axles (lazy axle!)

jonthefisho, Jun 27, 12:09am
Has been done long ago. Cost to do it
would be more than value of ute.

lordv81, Jun 27, 12:44am
How heavy is your camper !the one ton ute is just that-able to carry 1 ton of weight on the back from factory.A lazy axle and wheel set up would be costly and probly needs certifying.A cheaper way would be to fit slightly wider offset steel wheels,but you should put 1/2 inch studs in the axle hub instead of the 7/16 factory ones.Beefer springs-more leaves- will help stability as well and can be made cheaply at springtown {think thats there name down columbo street}Also better springs up front with good swaybar.

donz01, Jun 28, 10:28am
It sound like you need to talk to someone at Horizon Campers who may remember all the 1 tonner campers that they used to hire. I believe they were all just factory 1 tons with the camper etc bolted on the back after they cut the hole through the back of the cab. Someonein here may know the company that actually built them for Horizon if they did not build them themselves.

dave653, Jul 1, 11:09pm
Same reason the wrong wheel offset destroys bearings. With the wieght being supported further out from the hub, bearings and tubes will have different loads exerted on them.