Kerosene engine to petrol

xacoon, Jun 28, 8:13am
what needs changed! is it just a timing and carb adjustment thing or is there more to it! international t6.

bentcoupe, Jun 28, 8:16am
be the samebutthere wasa petrol start deisel engineas well

xacoon, Jun 28, 8:18am
yep that was the td6, this one is the kero motor with the petrol start.
so i should only need to advance the timing a bit and shes all beer and skittles then!

bentcoupe, Jun 28, 8:21am
the kero david brownsstarted on petrolhad a blind on them to get them hotthen switched over to kero,Some ih cracked heads if got too hotBut should be ok

xacoon, Jun 28, 8:27am
cant imagine spare heads would be thick on the ground either, in saying that, the motor was used in more than just the t6 apparently

carclan, Jun 28, 8:49am
I use to run my Suzuki TC125 on kerosene when I was at school as it was cheaper then. I had to start it on petrol and then run on kerosene. If I had a big enough hill to roll down it would start on kerosene as the temperature at the end of compression (T2) was great enough to ignite it.

bwg11, Jun 28, 8:51am
Can't remember, sold mine years back but some of the IH kero motors had an adjustable "hot spot" on the cast inlet/exhaust manifold which would need to be set to the "cold" or petrol position to run best on petrol.

xacoon, Jun 28, 8:58am
that is great info thanks, apparently it was tried and never ran very well on petrol, thought there was probably something simple, and that sounds hopeful.
there is a screw/locknut setup just up from the carb could that be it!

bwg11, Jun 28, 9:07am
Yes. It may well be rusted up, but good luck.

taipan4, Jun 28, 9:09am
had a couple of McCormick deeringT20's on the farm circa 1928--30
start on petrol & switch to kero as it was cheaper

xacoon, Jun 28, 9:12am
crc is my friend. will have a crack at that tomorrow, see if I can work out which setting is where. trying to find the leak in the float is tonights mission, . all info is much appreciated cheers

paul861, Jun 28, 6:38pm
same engine as a m or w6. shouldn't have to adjust timing, maybe adjust the main jet(small screw with a pin though it on left side of carb), it wont make much difference altering the flap in the manifold for burning petrol, but it needs to be in the 'hot' position to burn kero. and open the raditor shutters to burn pertol. check out yesterdays tractors, there is a wealth of info on these engines

dunwoody, Jun 28, 9:21pm
DON"T alter aything they are built to run on petrol . If it is a kerosene motor it will have two tanks, a small one about a gallon, for petrol to start and a big main tank that holds about 16 gallons for kerosene. When you stop the motor you switch off the kerosene and turn the petrol on , run until the kero is clear then switch off To start turn the petrol on run for a few minutes till the engine warms, turn off the petrol and then turn on the kero. If you have both taps on the petrol will drain into the maim tank. Their will be a steel cover over the \manifold to keep the intake hot for running on kero ibut if you arn't working the engine hard it can stay there.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 1:09am
CRC is surprisingly rubbish for unsticking rusted nuts/bolts etc. If you have no luck with it try a mix of brake fluid and atf or even better invest in a tin of Kroil. Its expensive is kroil but you only needa few drops so a tin lasts a long time and is super handy to have around the workshop.

Sorry to digress!

paul861, Jun 29, 5:22am
never heard kroil. where would i find some! cheers

xacoon, Jun 29, 9:06am
so you reckon there will be no tuning adjustments to be made between two such different fuel types! interesting, must admit it doesn't seem real logical to me would have thought they would have been set up for either petrol or kero. but it will get tried in standard tune before getting played with. yes it is the kero motor, two tanks low comp head etc, did always run well on kero, but for the amount it is going to get used it will be easier to just use petrol, and not bugger round with drums of kero or the annoying startup procedure which you alluded to.

xacoon, Jun 29, 9:11am
most of my work is done outside the workshop, so crc marine is cheap and easy.

xacoon, Jun 30, 8:22am
leave for 24 hours! bugger ya kroil I need it done now haha

sharpstuff, Jul 1, 3:08am
I have an inter TD14 which is petrol start and switch to diesel, when running on diesel it is the cleanest running engine iv ever seen ,has no exhaust from the manifold and there is absolutely no fumes or smell at all , good (old)technology