4WD vans

haventrader, Jun 27, 5:20am
I'm looking to buy a 4wd van, for a basic camper conversion. I like the Mitsubishi L300 vans (Pajero running gear), but difficult to find anything half decent. Then there are a number of Toyota Estimas, Liteaces, Townaces etc and Mazda / Ford Bongo's, Nissan Serenas and the like, claiming to be 4WD's. I won't be using the van to complete obstacle courses, but want to access some areas normally out of bounds for a standard 2wd vehicle (Beach, riverbed, muddy/snowy road). Are these vans mentioned any good as 4wd's, or are they just a gimmick!

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 6:21am
OK, the vehicle you require will be an L300 van 4WD or a Delica (L400) 4WD. The 4WD Estima for example is NOT made for off road use (as it says so in the owners manual), but more for slippery roads, steep driveways etc.

However, there is another option. You could buy a 4WD ute maybe, and make a box body to go on the back!

wimwom, Jun 27, 6:22am
If you want to go those places you really need a 4x4 with a real 4x4 set up, hubs that lock and a selection of ratios. Many of those mentioned are full time 4x4 and wont be suitable.

haventrader, Jun 27, 6:48am
Definitely something to consider too. Thanks. The L300 is what I have my eye on presently.

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 7:03am
That's fair enough, although the L400 / Delica is larger, has a chain drive diesel engine and a meatier gearbox / automatic transmission. Some also have a V6 petrol motor.

grangies, Jun 27, 8:16am

studio1, Jun 27, 10:41am
I have a Toyota Hiace 4WD jumbo (the biggest Hiace Toyota made). It's the extra long one with the high roof - so it's ideal for a camper (plenty of room inside).
Also, the 4WD system is a proper one. Has manual hubs on the front, and a hi-lo ratio selector inside.
Engage 4WD with a button on the dash.
I wouldn't touch anything by Mitsubishi, they're just not reliable and when they do break it will cost you a fortune to repair it.
I took this van to the South Island in the middle of winter a few years ago and used it for working in the snow.
Just brilliant. With a set of Cooper all-terrain tyres on, I didn't once need to put the chains on and I was driving through snow a foot deep on the Crown Range Road. Never lost traction either, and I did some of that in 2WD.
I'd thoroughly recommend this type of van as a go-anywhere camper.

paul861, Jun 27, 6:41pm
+1. had one of these. better than a navara off road. they know how to drink gas though

snj11, Jun 27, 6:56pm
thats a bit of a genralisation, though i agree in alot of cases, the mid nineties onwards l300 space gear with the 2.8 diesel wasnt a bad motor, the earlier 4d56 2.5 was a bit of a pig but as long as looked after the 2.8 is a good strong motor.

wimwom, Jun 27, 8:19pm
I feel this is just because the 4m40 is newer.They are infact showing many of the same problems that have given the 4d56 a bad name. I have many friends who use mitsi's powered by 4d56's and because they service them, they have had good service and covered big distances in them.
There have been a number of space gears coming up, even on this site recently with engine failures. With all these motors it is very important to keep the cooling system clean, service the radiator and change the anti freeze!

mrfxit, Jun 27, 9:13pm
Key word . CLAIMING
In fact, a lot of what ppl call 4wd are whats really an AWD (all wheel drive / full time 4wd)
A genuine 4wd /4x4 has a selectable 2wd or 4wd gearbox

bleetbleet, Jun 27, 10:49pm
be aware that 4wd vans that are loaded up as campers are BLARDY heavy.if you drive into soft sand in one the van is there permanantly.buy a camper and tow a trailer with a quad on it,leave camper on tarseal and go exploring on quad.just my opinion

motorboy2011, Jun 27, 11:34pm
we had an old 88 4wd liteace, the transfercase was a little low to the ground. proper 4wd with manual hubs, dual range gearbox. In low, 1st was good for 10kph, 2nd 20kph and so on.

desmodave, Jun 28, 1:57am
Put a motorcycle rack on the back and leave the trailer at home.only applys if you can ride of corse.I have a trailer camper that i would tow behind my 4x4 .I fitted abike rackon front of the camper trailer over the draw bar .Was fun being able to go for a hoon on a dirt bike were ever you parked up.Shame the westcoast rats decided to snack on all the canvas workas it now just sits parked under a tree out back.

haventrader, Jun 28, 5:57am
x1
That counts for most cars- probably one of the most neglected service items.