Spark plug rethreading

fuglyduck, Jul 15, 8:20am
does the head have to be removed to helicoil a spark plug thread or can it be done in place.blew one spark plug clean out of the hole in my toyota hiace and the threads nackered.

msigg, Jul 15, 8:42am
I would say its got to come off. one tiny bit of swarf left in there and it could stuff the bore.

les6, Jul 15, 9:30am
friend drilled out a sparkplug for me and just loaded the drill with grease,drilled slowiy and cleaned it often,changing drills if they got too hot.We blew it out with compressed air and then fired it up with no plug,still going now with no apparent problems!I suppose it depends on the value and/or age of your motor!

unclejake, Jul 15, 9:37am
The vast majority of the time it is done with the head in-situ Fuglyduck.

Find someone careful and you have abetter chance of the engnie lasting years and years

fuglyduck, Jul 15, 5:40pm
thanks for the advice will send it to the mechanic this weekhe,s a good carefulchapso hopefuly no dramas

kazbanz, Jul 15, 8:23pm
As per the feedback from Les 6. But do be aware that a mechanic may refuse or say all care no responsibility re the swarf.

beblowin, Jul 15, 8:55pm
we took a van to a engineer to get 1 replace, it looked like tricky job, but they had all the gear to do it with the head in place, just a warning if the helicoil is not locked in correctly it can came out with the sparkplug when changing them.

twink19, Jul 15, 9:10pm
have done it in place, used a 1/4inch piece of copper sealed to vacuum cleaner hose and sucked it out

hondalova, Jul 16, 5:24am
engine reconditioners in cambridge did a heli coil on a ford courier FE motor. it lasted about 5 years until it popped the plug out about 6000rpm. we had it re- helicoiled and goes mint stil. done in 10 mins while still in ute.

trader_84, Jul 16, 5:32am
Yep, this. And if theres a few shards of alum (is the head alum!) its all going to be gone after a couple of revolutions!

alfred011, Jul 23, 10:56am
No put grease on tha drill and tap ,fit helicoil then crank over motor with sparkplug out,any crap will get blasted out.

motorboy2011, Jul 23, 7:58pm
or sucked in