Does my caldina have abs breaks

philip7229, Jun 23, 11:07pm
I have a 1999 toyotacaldina sw G 4WD. Do they have ABS breaks! I have assumed she does but when I lift the bonnet or look underneath the vehicle all I see are thingies that don't mean much to me. I am not a total illiterate when it comes to cars. i know tyres when i see them!

dent, Jun 23, 11:11pm
By that age I would have thort it should. Turn on your ignition and have a look for a little light with the letters ABS. Other than that have a look for litle wires running to each wheel. Not the brake hose tho.

philip7229, Jun 23, 11:12pm
thanks. I shall go out there now and have a look.

johnf_456, Jun 23, 11:13pm
Or just drive on wet grass or gravel and slam them brakes on!

robotnik, Jun 23, 11:14pm
Take it up to speed, say 50km/h and then slam on the brakes. If the peddle pushs back at you, sort of vibrating then it has ABS. Other than that look for the ABS pump - google a picture of that, they all look the same. And of course as mentioned the ABS light on the instrument panel.

unbeatabull, Jun 23, 11:15pm
As John said, find some shingle or grass, drive along at a safe speed say 40km/h, and have 2 wheels on the grass/shingle and 2 wheels on the road and slam the brakes on, if the pedal pulses you have ABS.

Or even easier way, when you turn key on, is there an ABS Light anywhere on the dash! It will go out after a few seconds but if it comes up you have ABS

philip7229, Jun 23, 11:18pm
Yep the orange light flashed up and said ABS. Thanks

andy61, Jun 24, 12:39am
I would hope they are brakes and not breaks.Cant have broken brakes.

kazbanz, Jun 24, 12:54am
what on the ABS breaks exactly! If the ABS does break it might affect the operation of the brakes.

elect70, Jun 24, 3:46am
Pain in the ass anyway , on my old disco itake fuse outuntil WOF timethen out again . . nearly went through mygates asdrive accrossdirt & on wet day the ABS let go& had to take evasive action to avoid collision .without ABS stops fine .

zirconium, Jun 24, 3:56am
op, completely off topic, but did you know you can email trademe and get them to remove all the red feedbacks from disabled traders! - It would make your rating look a lot better.

rob_man, Jun 24, 3:58am
SBW has abs.
Just sayin'