Distributor for a Mitsubishi Mirage

datoofairy, Jun 22, 12:56am
My niece's 1996 Mitsubishi Mirage has a dead distributor and has been told it will cost her $600 for a new one, and that there are no second hand ones available.
Does this sound correct! It seems very expensive and we arent sure if the mechanic is trying to take advantage of the fact she is young and doesnt know any better.
Thanks.

wimwom, Jun 22, 2:38am
The distributor shouldhave a number on the body, find it and use it totrace another.Are you sure it's not just a dead ignition module IN the distributor!

ceebee2, Jun 22, 2:40am
You can buy the IC for them cheap at Repco.commonly pack up. Do you know exactly what is wrong.Mech or Elect!

datoofairy, Jun 22, 2:41am
Thanks sterid01, she is going to ring around this afternoon.
We were just curious if the mechanic was being honest with her or not on the pricing.
They have already charged her $180, to tow the car a short distance to the garage, replace spark plugs that ended up not being the problem and to tell her it is the distributor thats the problem.
The mechanic is very rude and arrogant. I've dealt with him before and found him to be very rude as well. Absolutely no people skills at all.So its difficult to even try to discuss the problem with him.

datoofairy, Jun 22, 2:42am
Thanks also to you other two for replying.
No, she doesnt know exactly whats wrong.The car will start but then dies, and once it dies it takes another 20 mins or so before it will start again.Thats all we know sorry.

ceebee2, Jun 22, 2:44am
Ignition module to be precise

ceebee2, Jun 22, 4:31am
Take it elsewhere because I don't think its the dizzy module as they usually clap out and the car will not restart. I think from memory they also have a resistor (White block, looks like a bird feeder!) that are known to fail. Go to another garage, you don't need to put up with rude people.

wimwom, Jun 22, 4:40am
Often they heat up first.Will run like this car before stopping altogether.Should be a reasonably common part and only takes a few minutes to fit and try.My guess is still the module!

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 22, 4:49am
My money is on the module too. They fail when hot.

It won't be the ballast resistor which is what I think 'ceebee' has alluded to - that won't prevent it from restarting immediately. But iit will mean it won't run when the ignition switch is in the ON position. So as soon as it starts and the key is moved from START to ON, it would die. Also, it won't work again in 20 minutes - once blown, it's dead until replaced.

n3d4sp3d, Jun 22, 8:21am
posibly cam angle sensor common on ck shape to pack up when hot, as mentioned above if the dizzy in these cars pack up they pack up properly and car won't start at all

jrlaw, Jun 22, 9:40am
I wonder if the fuel filter is blocked!