96 Nissan Prairie fuel pump removal help please

kdh1947, Jun 21, 6:58am
Can anybody advise on removal of fuel pump from tank.
Have accessed and removed pipes and screws from under the inspection plate but there does not seem enough room to twist or turn the unit without damage to get to the pump for renewal.
Does the tank have to be dropped!
Hope not, since my stroke I ain't too good under the car.
Thanks
Ken

coolcharmgirl1, Jun 21, 8:20am
Good luck with that.

bigfatmat1, Jun 21, 9:20am
never done one but if its the standard nissan plastic screw top get in there with a hammer and a semi blunt screwdriver to unscrew it the can be quite nasty to undo sometimes hit the raised sections. when refitting you will find two marks for realigning the ring before you start screwing it upits important these line up before you start to screw it on.

kdh1947, Jun 21, 11:08am
Already have the unit undone, just cannot seem to get the whole thing out of the access hole provided. Any further ideas please!

flack88, Jun 21, 8:37pm
Did a Primera pump,had to unclip the sender\pickup off it to get out./!dont no if your nissan the same

motorboy2011, Jun 21, 10:49pm
on my 93 skyline the pump and gauge send were clipped to the inside of the tank, pain in the ass to get off normally. Ironically the problem with mine was that the pump had fallen off the inside of the tank and was upside down in the tank

ceebee2, Jun 22, 5:05am
Should be similar to the Stagea I recently removed one and as Motorboy says it will be clipped into a hard plastic body that's fixed inside the tank. I had to use submerge your hand / arm into the tank to manipulate the locking tag. It is really tricky if you do not know how it releases.

kdh1947, Jun 22, 8:36am
Thanks guys.
Got it, our pump had started leaking from its seal.
Managed to swap pumps in situ with a lot of cuts.
But all going now.
Thanks for your assistance.