Building your own caravan/teardrop trailer

scoobydufus, Jun 20, 9:31am
A friend of mine from Oz is a huge vintage caravan fanatic and sent me a customised Hotwheels Anglia 105E sedan and teardrop trailer using the Anglia body as the base. I have been thinking for some time now about building the real thing. I have searched the web for build designs and have found some that I like and have kept as reference, I also did a search for vintage/retro caravan clubs in NZ and my search didnt really find much. I would really like to consult with someone who is vintage/retro caravan orientated to get somemore ideas before I start building. Do any of the members here know of someone who would be able to help ! I would prefer the Waikato area as I feel meeting rather then phone/email would be more beneficial. Any help greatfully appreciated

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 6:23pm
Is this going to be used as an art piece or are you actually going to camp in it on a regular basis!

The reason I ask is that as good as it looks (and I like the idea) its not going to have much usable space due to the lack of interior width with that design. (You are starting with a skinny car, then losing the width of the doors plus the width of the interior walls as well.

This might be better done with a chev or other similar finned vehicle that is wider to start with. You could widen it of course but that adds complication.

If this is going to be used regularly as an actual camper I would suggest considering a scratch built one that does not utilise car parts. You could still go with a really eye catching retro design and not have to deal with extra constraints.

Best of luck, I am keen to do one sometime in the future as well. I think they are a great and useful project.

scoobydufus, Jun 21, 12:14am
Hi there, thanks for the response. It will be used as a camper but not regulary (read: more of a show piece) lol. I understand what you are saying about the limited width and size of it all and it is a big issue but one I hope will not make me change directions on.
I think I need to gut a car out and see what I have to work with first, if at the end of the day it dos'nt work then I will have spare parts for my other Anglias. Don't panic Anglia fans I am not going to cut up a good Anglia :).
The main thing is the wife is happy to sleep in there lol

scoobydufus, Jun 21, 5:46am
Awesom looking wagon ! I also have a Anglia wagon and van that I am slowly rebuilding. There wouldnt be to many Goliaths around NZ would there !

whqqsh, Jun 21, 9:27am
checked around & been told quite a few times the only wagon left on the road, a few (Wanaka transport museum & possibly Southwards) in static collections though