2004 5.7 litre commodore

jessie01, Jun 20, 9:13am
does anyone think they are ok ot run i have heard they are really gutsy on gas

dent, Jun 20, 9:15am
Dunno about the 04 but I have a 2000 vt and it gets around 11-12 litres per 100kms on a trip. Around 15-17 in town.

jessie01, Jun 20, 9:17am
it is also a manual im not sure if that makes any difference

jessie01, Jun 20, 9:32am
not worried i already own a v8 just looking at changing and getting different opinions on it

kingfisher21, Jun 20, 9:47am
They are set quite rich from the factory, with a tune the economy can get better and power increased, my modded one puts out 320kw and averages 11l per 100km on a trip.

cowboy110, Jun 20, 10:29am
My VZ SV8 gets between 9 and 10 on a trip and a bit over 12 around town.

skyline_guy_r34, Jun 20, 10:58am
mine gets 21L per 100km around town. never done open road driving.

jenny188, Jun 20, 12:01pm
Compared to what! My 2002 SS 5.7 uses the same amount on a trip as my 2.5 Vitara. Highway speed it ticks over about 1800 revs compared to the Suzukis 2600. 1800rpm times 8 cylinders compared to 2600 times 6 cyl = the Commodore does less firing per minute. It also passes a lot quicker and stops faster, and tows a 1 ton boat easier over moderate distances. I get about 600 kms per tank before the fuel light on both. but I use the Suzuki 4x4 to take the family skiing. Around town the figures come down, but some of that is me. I like the sound

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 6:14pm
Firing per minute has almost nothing to do with it. The gearing issue would be more than offset by the pumping losses with the greater capacity commodore.

The key reason the Vitara uses almost as much fuel is aerodynamics and following well behind that is a not particularly efficient engine.

Efficiency is a complex subject, I don't know why everyone just picks one aspect and ignores the rest.

clark20, Jun 20, 7:21pm
Bull, it has a bigger affect than you think.it also has to do with much lower friction at lower revs, higher eff at larger cylinder filling etc

jessie01, Jun 20, 8:02pm
gosh im a girl
and i dont understand this man talk lol.

richardmayes, Jun 20, 8:17pm
It takes a certain amount of energy to lift 1.6 tonnes of steel 600m up a ski access road, no matter whether the mass of steel has a "V6" badge or a "V8" badge on the side of it.

Similarly it takes a certain amount of energy to drag a 2m wide x1.6m high un-aerodynamic shape thru the air at 100km/h - and make no mistake, a Holden Commodore is not an aerodynamic shape - no matter what the fast car fanboys tell you!

Where the bigger engined one has the ability to brink more gas, is if you use the extra power to go faster or accelerate harder.

The people who get amazingly good fuel consumption out of V8s tend to be old sensible people who drive like grown-ups. The people who put teh boot in constantly, you tend to hear them moaning about the price of petrol.

quickbuck, Jun 21, 6:09am
Yup, drive it like it is ment be driven, and you will return very reasonable figures. This doesn't mean "short shift" either. The 6 seed manual is awesome!
Those who moan about consumption drive it around town all the time. They are not a town car, they were designed to go from Melbourne to Sydney in comfort.