Family wagon under $15k. Any suggestions?

Page 1 / 2
caldog, Jun 19, 3:45am
Needing to buy a new family car and the jury is still out on make and model. We're considering all sorts from mid 2000s 3.0R legacys and outbacks to Avensis', Wingroads and even 2004 ish Audi A4s or BMWs.
Everything seems to have it's upsides and downsides. Any obvious choice I'm missing!
Fuel consumption isn't the biggest concern, within reason, but something with a decent size boot that won't be a complete slug is the order of the day. Hoping to keep the kms under or very close to 100,000.
Seen a few old threads with similar question but figure the market is always changing. Thanks for any advice.

msigg, Jun 19, 4:00am
Dosn't matter about the market you will always loose on your car. Expect to depriciate about $2000/year for 5 years.holden/falcon/Camry.

caldog, Jun 19, 4:10am
Thanks. Yeah sorry, was meaning current market price points, not depreciation.

trdbzr, Jun 19, 4:19am
How many people will the car usually carry! what sort of driving will it be doing ie motorway or city, What factor is more important for you! looks, performance, practicality!

bellky, Jun 19, 4:21am
What do you like the look of!

(Question is my answer.)

caldog, Jun 19, 4:35am
2 adults, 2 kids. Big dog! 50/50 city vrs open road. I guess I'm going to try and sound grown up and say "practicality" as we have another car for fun. That said don't want something hideous or underpowered. Thanks

modie61, Jun 19, 4:37am
Hideous ! Where is that Fiat guy,wots hes name !

caldog, Jun 19, 4:37am
Yeah, that's what it seems to be coming down to more than anything. Would prefer something that isn't going to break every 5 mins though too.
Cheers

modie61, Jun 19, 4:47am
well at least 1 side looks ok.

bellky, Jun 19, 5:04am
Once you're pretty keen on one or two models then ask on here about specific problems etc. and take them for a test drive. After that you will be in a good position to find the best vehicle of the type you want at the best price.

fordcrzy, Jun 19, 5:06am
to be honest. in that price bracket and criteria you are pretty much stuffed. in my opinion most of the cars in that price bracket are just not worth that sort of money. you can get just as good a car for $10K. for example can you honestly say that a 120k bmw wagon is $6 grand better than a $9k 2005 mondeo wagon.ummmmmmm NO! its either save your money and get a 10kish wagon or spend up and get one at over 20K. that 12- 17K market is stuffed full of over priced junk.

fordcrzy, Jun 19, 5:11am
an altezza gita may be worth a look. the avensis may be too underpowered for your liking.

kenw1, Jun 19, 5:15am
We got a BA falcon wagon, big comfortable, easy to get bits, and not to costly to buy.

rallec, Jun 19, 5:27am
We've got a Mazda6 and it's been great.Seem to be reasonably popular in general though so you might need to look a bit for a really good price.

fordcrzy, Jun 19, 5:49am
that 485135690 may be a good buy. it seems reasonably priced and has a cargo barrier to stop the dog from slobbering on the kids! what you save from your 15K budget you you spend in extra gas but even so it would be about 4 years before you made up the difference and i bet it would be cheaper to service than other wagons over that 5 year period.
food for thought

trdbzr, Jun 19, 6:03am
Have you considered a 2008+ Ford Mondeo! A lot of the lease companies are letting them go now and you should be able to pick up a decent one if you shop around.

fordcrzy, Jun 19, 6:12am
as good as they are.the mondeo is a SLUG especially in auto form. even i wouldnt buy one. we once had a 2001 manual which was ok though

caldog, Jun 19, 6:59am
Thanks a lot. Certainly a few I hadn't considered in that lot.
I agree, my budget is right in the middle of no mans land. Lots of overpriced cars and not quite enough to get into something that ticks all the boxes.
Thanks again for the ideas.

caldog, Jun 19, 7:00am
Pretty good looking car. I'll find one to take for a spin. Cheers

caldog, Jun 19, 7:02am
Good buying I reckon. Just might be a little too big for round town! Will check one out. Cheers

trdbzr, Jun 19, 7:21am
The new 2008+ shape ones have the same 2.3L engine as the Mazda 6 so they should go alright for what it is. I would have recommended the Mazda 6/Atenza but its hard to find a decent 2008+ shape one in OPs budget.

fordcrzy, Jun 19, 7:32am
the 2.3 in the old shape mazda 6 had a lot less weigt to pull around. those new mondeos are HEAVY and the equivilent mazda 6 has a larger 2.5 engine.

bignzer1, Jun 19, 9:19am
I agree with Fordcrzy 2002+ Honda Accord SW nice car with good power and economy. But I am biased as I own one lol.

jenifa, Jun 19, 9:20am
Mazda Atenza Wagon 2.3L was pretty awesome for me. Nice BOSE stereo system too!

caldog, Jun 19, 9:38pm
Thanks a lot for the ideas everyone.