Suggestions for Work Van

Page 1 / 2
ryanm2, Jun 16, 12:36am
Is it a safe bet to stick with the Mazda Bongo / Nissan Vanette / Ford Econovans! or are the newer Toyota Vans or Nissan Caravans worth the extra few thousand! Sparky inquiring so size isn't a big factor,more comfort,fuel and reliability.

vtecintegra, Jun 16, 12:47am
Depending on year and market the Bongo, Econovan, Nissan Vanette and Mitsubishi Delica could all be the same model (built by Mazda)

mugenb20b, Jun 16, 12:58am
All the vans you mentioned are good, but being a sparky, you may be able to get away with panel vans, like Holden Combo, Citroen Berlingo and Renault Kangoo.

tandj3, Jun 16, 1:05am
Suzuki carry van are the bestknow a sparky with 3reckons theyre great

toyboy3, Jun 16, 1:10am
Nissan experthasgood roof fittings forladderrack

ceebee2, Jun 16, 4:58am
I would favour the nissan caravan, have assisted a plumber to up grade from his old caravan to newer one. I had serviced the old one (1992) for years without any problems. Both petrol ones.

210sback, Jun 16, 5:06am
yep i got a bongo when i started my business a 2003 80000km has been sweet no issues at all 3 years later,and about half the price of a hiace.thought it would have been a bit better on the juice tho,1800 petrol,expect to get 350-380kms per tank of 45 litres.no vans are good on mileage tho.

morrisjvan, Jun 16, 6:02am
most popular vans on the road would be hiace,l300,and the bongo types, if they were shit they wouldn't be so prolific.

fordcrzy, Jun 16, 6:12am
they are dirt cheap.that doesnt mean they are good. try pulling out of a driveway curb without smacking your head on the door. they buck all over the road. they are TERRIBLE!

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP AND VERY VERY NASTY!
ID RATHER GET AN OLDER HIACE FOR SAME MONEY
or a nissan.
anyone who says the bongo/econovan is a "good" van needs thier head read and driver licence removed.

sr2, Jun 16, 6:27am
How much money are you looking at spending!

skiff1, Jun 16, 7:19am
multipla!

ryanm2, Jun 16, 7:20am
Up to 15k would be my ceiling - obviously cheaper is better. I currently drive an econovan for my work but they certainly are starting to date. Talked a builder who picked up a 2006 nissan caravan for 15k and that seemed like a good deal.

ryanm2, Jun 16, 7:23am
Otherwise is it worth getting a people mover and ripping out the seats in the rear. For 10k it seems you can get a decent people mover.

russ18, Jun 16, 7:29am
My latest work van (sparky) is a 2001 Nissan Elgrand, it's really comfortable and goes better than any other van I've had (3.5L V6) and it was a few $k cheaper than same age Hiace.
Last van was a 96 Hiace supercustom, the area in the back of the elgrand is the same width, height but about 300mm shorter than the hiace.
Downside is it's a bit thirsty but I don't care.

hfc2, Jun 16, 7:41am
hiace full stop.

ryanm2, Jun 16, 7:51am
meh - anything Toyota in this country seems to attract highly inflated prices . Dont really want to spend 10k on a mid 90's , rough , 300,000km plus van. Your argument would be that these prices reflect the market value , I just reckon there are a lot of idiots in this world.

scoobeey, Jun 16, 8:13am
well thousands of hiace owners cant be wrong!My pick would be a 2002 roughly 2.8 hiace. you should do a million km before any major work as many have :)

ryanm2, Jun 16, 8:30am
thats good to know - diesel or petrol!

scoobeey, Jun 16, 8:34am
Toyotas highly reliable diesel. just check for rust around windscreen and windows :))

scoobeey, Jun 16, 8:39am
even this would b a gd buy :)484379894

scoobeey, Jun 16, 8:45am
This would b my pick last ya for blardy donkeys years!

scoobeey, Jun 16, 8:45am

mugenb20b, Jun 16, 8:52am
Both are good, petrol is a MF to work on, diesels will crack a head if overheated and its engine note sounds awful. Check for rust around the windscreen and bottom of 'A' pillars near the lower door hinges. Use a good light and a screwdriver.

bigfatmat1, Jun 16, 8:55am
I would recommend not buying a mitsi l300 petrol!

mugenb20b, Jun 16, 8:56am
I would. They go well, are easy to work on and represent good value for money.