New Cars under $20K - options/suggestions!

Page 1 / 5
db.price, Nov 21, 10:29pm
We are looking at a new car for my wife for mainly around town and have about $20K to spend.We have looked at and taken a test drive in a 2011 Kia Picanto and were quietly surprised by it - good interior, comfortable ride and nippy round town.

ARe there any other options out there that people may recommend in this bracket for new cars!

ringo2, Nov 21, 10:32pm
An excellent choice!

ninja_man, Nov 21, 10:57pm
if it was me i would buy a slightly older car, maybe japanese. I would never buy brand new with the depreciation new cars have.

a.woodrow, Nov 21, 11:02pm
Hmm theres a few options around that price, suzuki swift and toyota yaris comes to mind. You could get a demo km's yaris for about that money and depreciation would be lower, suzuki swift is the better looking of a sorry bunch IMO. Also could be worth tracking down a runout hyundai getz, a little bit cheaper and not a bad car for the money

budgel, Nov 21, 11:09pm
You could get a near new Mazda 2 for that, get the sport, it has a few extras.

Isaw a dealer's demo at that price, probably with the new car warranty too.

rovercitroen, Nov 21, 11:30pm
If it has to be a brand new car, how about the new Suzuki Splash!

rob_man, Nov 21, 11:32pm
Great Wall Cookie Boy.

db.price, Nov 22, 12:44am
We took a look at the Splash (as the dealers who sells the KIa aslo sells Suzuki) but honestly for the $$$ it paled in comparrison to the Picanto.

Swift is an option and one we have ben considering but the base model Swift is really light on features - would prefer the new RS but the price jump to $24500 is just too cost prohibative

db.price, Nov 22, 12:57am
Also have had a online look at the Holden Barina Spark but not actually gone in to see it.

craigsmith, Nov 22, 12:59am
Why on earth would you buy a new car for $20K when $20K spent on a one or two year old model will buy you far more for the money.

Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, Fiat Punto, VW Polo all excellent.

db.price, Nov 22, 1:03am
And there is Geely and Cheery as well.I think Chineese cars will be a big thing - just not yet.Like the Korean cars 10 years ago there is potential but it has only been in the last 3-4 that Hyundai and to a lesser extent Kia have really come into their own.

Chineese brands would definately be ones to watch for

gman35, Nov 22, 1:05am
+1 , drive one of these others and then be honest with yourself. Interior materials , suspension tuning (the koreans are barely out of cattle-powered carts in world automotive terms) , general engineering and quality of drive will be better.

gman35, Nov 22, 1:07am
Can you answer the "do you really want a NEW car question" that some of us are asking / advising you !

a18a, Nov 22, 1:08am
so we can buy it off them for $10000 next year :P

db.price, Nov 22, 1:14am
The Fiesta is definately an option and one we may consider (although my wife was not that keen on them when we took a new one for a drive a while ago).Mazda 2 neither of us like - the interior just makes me cringe - all plastic and all grey.Fiat I am not sure about although have considered the Polo as well.Concern I have about European cars is they tend to cost quite a bit to service them

db.price, Nov 22, 1:18am
We are definately also considering a low KM late model used car as well.Actually just went into the Kia dealer to do a test drive and enter the draw for the trip to Melbourne!Trouble was the damn car was actually pretty good and my wife really liked it!

Oh and this is by no way a spur of th moment thing - we have been looking for a new or near new replacement for her 97 Primera for about 18 months now.Expectation is we will keep any new/used car for at least 10 years.

Leaning to the new part as it has a 5 year warranty etc

db.price, Nov 22, 1:20am
Have driven the Fiesta and the 2.Both good cars - the fiesta for the price definately the winner between the two however.

Have never driven a Fiat or a Polo.

kiwicon, Nov 22, 1:21am
selling the Primera!

ringo2, Nov 22, 1:27am
"the koreans are barely out of cattle-powered carts in world automotive terms) " Total bullshit.

jcwholesale, Nov 22, 1:49am
Just came back from the states, Kia is huge over there.

trdbzr, Nov 22, 1:53am
+1

Hyundai has picked up its game BIGTIME.

db.price, Nov 22, 2:14am
Was going to be a bit more careful with my words there but thought that as well.I thought that Hyundai and Kia were on the leading edge of the automotive industry.or have I just swallowed the hype!

kiwicon, Nov 22, 2:19am
My niece is after another car. what price range you looking at!

db.price, Nov 22, 2:40am
Would be under $2000 likely.97 Primeria - paint is average and has oxidation on bonnet and boot.Interior is OK for age.$225K on the clock.

kiwicon, Nov 22, 2:53am
click my name, buy my $1 acution. then we can talk business.