1999 Maxima A33 intermittent no start issue

franc123, Jun 17, 5:20am
Got a perplexing problem with the above car, its a NZ new VQ30 engined version with a factory immobiliser.Basically every once and a while it just cranks over and doesn't want to start, it is in daily use and can often go fine for 2 weeks or more before it recurs again, it doesn't seem to be temperature related, happens totally at random.After checking for spark, fuel pump and injector operation, there is no spark because the coils (its coil over plug) aren't receiving power but appear to be being switched by the ECU.Does anyone know what circuit they are supplied through, if there is a relay involved that might be faulty, or know if there is a common problem with these that affects the coil circuit, and does the immobiliser interfere with it!My first thought given its an ageing Nissan was the crank or cam angle sensors, but it hasn't thrown any fault codes and this would not affect power supply to the coils anyway!Appreciate any thoughts from those who know the model or any electricians, cheers.

bigfatmat1, Jun 17, 5:24am
ecm relay powers coils. there is a common fault with theses that relates to spark. and this is gearbox bolt torque and position normally upset after trans repair or swap distorting the signal from the cas and giving intermittent spark problems while starting.

bigfatmat1, Jun 17, 5:25am
btw ecm relay also powers part of ecm so you would have no trigger from ecu if this was this case

franc123, Jun 17, 5:30am
Thanks for that, the car hasn't had any transmission work done to it as far as I know, yes the bit that threw me a bit was the fact that the coils did appear to be being switched, and the injectors were clearly being pulsed, so I had sort of discounted a power supply problem to the ECM.Is the ECM relay in one of the fuse boxes!