VTNZ look it up ! revin

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 16, 6:29am
Registered or re-registered.

yzf250_pro, Oct 10, 12:32pm
how did you get on with this!

intrade, Oct 10, 7:29pm
them 2 peeps account are deleted so trademe still doing it it seems

n1smo_gtir, Oct 11, 12:59am
not 100% sure but due to legislation introduced in last couple years, any cars before 96 can't be registered due to safety involving air bags! don't quote me on it. feel free to correct me if someone here is more clearer.

sw20, Oct 11, 4:34am
I think you have missed a few years of legislation. It is now pretty much anything older than 2005.

The car could be complied under the SIVs scheme. All full for 2012 though, so you will have to go on the list for 2013.

nzeva, Oct 11, 4:56am
If the car was imported since 2009 just take it to the AA or VTNZ with the paperwork and they'll inspect it for compliance, give it a vin number and you can then register it. Cars 20 years and older when imported into NZ don't need to meet modern crash test and emissions standards.
If it was imported before 2009 and not vinned at that time, you won't be able to comply it, so it will only be good for parts or racing.
If it was vinned, then registered here before 2009 and the rego has lapsed, it can be re-vinned again at any compliance place.

gmphil, Oct 11, 7:32am
Find a compliance centre closed to where u are ,aproach them with paper work they will tell u wot they require do in done ,my understanding the 89 gtr sneeks thru be a classic
Ripleys on that i thought but !

kcf, Oct 11, 6:58pm
1989 does not have to meet exhaust emissions or frontal impact, so it's just the same as any car 1989 or older.

Call an Entry Certifier rather than seeking advice from random internet people, you'll get the actual answer rather than a series of well intentioned vague stabs in the dark.

Basically every answer here you've gotten so far is between slightly wrong and completely wrong.

incar., Oct 11, 7:36pm
You have to wait until early 2013, 200 cars a year

cpnnz, Oct 11, 8:22pm
'89 GTR would only have to pass the compliance inspection, no problem for frontal impact or emission rules. No limit on numbers per year. You still have to worry about RUST and previous accident repairs which would require expensive work and engineer to sign it off. Most of those old GTR's have been crashed or are getting rusty now.

kcf, Oct 11, 11:25pm
+

Bingo!First completely correct reply of the thread, well done that man :-)

incar., Oct 11, 11:33pm
Really! So the inspection I did at the dealers on Wednesday on a Gtr they can now register it, funny that as the new owner has to wait until early next year to be complied. Can you verify your statement I would like to forward the info to my client

kcf, Oct 12, 12:04am
incar:the crucial question is, was the GTR you looked at at the dealers a 1989, or a newer one.

If it's a 1989 then you are ok to present for compliance.

If 1990 or newer, then they are correct because you will need a permit of which there is none left for 2012.

89/90 is the change over point on having to meet current emission standards.

incar., Oct 12, 12:29am
sorry yes its a 1990 so your statement stands, cheers

hopie, Oct 12, 2:33am
KCF is correct, make sure you have all the paper work thou, import and de-reg papers from Japan

cpnnz, Oct 12, 3:50am
also, once you have your 1990 GTR, due to 'special interest category' rules, you have to keep it for 4 years and can't sell it.