Hilux missing and backfiring

oraki2, Jul 16, 10:13pm
I've got a 93 Hilux with a 22R [2.4 petrol] motor. It is missing and backfiring intermittently. Can go for days good as gold and then start mucking around. In the last 5000kms it's had new plugs and leads. Have just put in new carby kit, air and fuel filters, but still doing the same. Any ideas to help the local dealer because when he looks at it, the blardy thing runs sweet. Cheers. By the way, it's a red one

budgel, Jul 16, 10:28pm
I had a similar problem that turned out to be loose low tension connections to the coil and distributor. ( Not a toyota though.)

net_oz, Jul 16, 10:32pm
Feel for ya mate. Should've got a black one. They don't have that problem.

oraki2, Jul 16, 10:33pm
I was wondering if it was a connection problem. Next thought was moisture as it doesn't get used daily. It's only done 290 km, so should only be just run in

lyonruge, Jul 16, 11:35pm
Have a good look at the dist cap, and test the rotor.

serf407, Jul 17, 12:20am
Did you clean out the fuel tank ! The problem could be rubbish/ water in the tank and when you bounce down the road the rubbish partially blocks the tank outlet. The engine will go okay at the workshop because the vehicle is stationary.
If the electrics etc check out ok, consider that it might be a valve stem seal. Could be a tiny crack in a valve stem seal that opens up when warm.

thedoth, Jul 17, 10:42am
Get distributor checked out. Mine had a hairline crack in it which allowed moisture to get in.Also found always ran betterwith more petrol in tank.I never letmine get below 1/4. Mine was a red one too.

snoopy221, Jul 17, 11:58am
Throw a garden hose over the ignition after dusk.
Clean the rust off the rotor tip with a light file-and dry it out-then throw the garden hose over it again.
Chances are it will arc a few blue sparks and die and miss-and won't be a problem when the rusty high resistance rotor tip is cleaned.
Or the old crack in the coil-again wet test it's ignition for leakage with a hose.
Simple and easy.K

oraki2, Jul 17, 9:15pm
Cheers for the ideas. I'll somehow try and make those suggestions to those who should know without being the 'know it all' customer

etimret, Jul 18, 8:14am
I had something similar 2.4 petrol hilux ,, every now and again it would happen .It would run sweet as then it would spit and miss and be absoutley gutless ,,, simple fix . every six months i full tank of 96 octane instead of 91 octane . that fixed it for me.

hondalova, Jul 18, 10:09am
had simlar problem to the 2.4 hiace. turned out to be the intake manifold gasket.