How do u change a full time 4wheel drive car.

Page 1 / 2
dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:00am
into a 2wheel drive!

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 9:02am
Well, that depends on the car.

thunderbolt, Aug 9, 9:02am
Remove a drive shaft!

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:03am
its a mits galant vr4 1996

ralphdog1, Aug 9, 9:03am
Sell it and buy a 2wd one!

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:04am
i want serious answers

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 9:05am
What's wrong with AWD!

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:06am
just want two wheel drive. its a project car so im going to do that first. im doing my own little experiment

markfal, Aug 9, 9:09am
you can't make it 2wd. best to sell it and buy a 2wd one.

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:10am
yea u can.iv seen a couple of galants with two wheel drive

ralphdog1, Aug 9, 9:11am
I don't think that is considered a serious answer by the OP.

thunderbolt, Aug 9, 9:11am
If you know the answer, why bloody ask!

vag.central, Aug 9, 9:12am
You will need to remove the drive shafts, but will need to leave the outer cv's bolted in the hub, you will also need to lock the center diff. Most jap awd cars ive seen have tiny rear axles and will be easy to break

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:12am
cos i know u cant answer it!

thunderbolt, Aug 9, 9:15am
Newsflash Princess, I could get through the rest of my life without ever needing to know how to modify an outdated piece of crap to do something it was never designed to do.
Come back when you have a real question.

ralphdog1, Aug 9, 9:16am
Ah, so this is an exercise in showing all us dumb idiots how smart you are!
Well done, I bow to your superior intellect

NZTools, Aug 9, 9:16am
The rear end is desgned to handle 50% of the engines power at most. Even if you do manage to lock the centre diff and direct all the power to the rear, it will pop very quickly.

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:16am
hahahaha that could work. but no

dyln.sampson, Aug 9, 9:18am
hahahahah

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 9:23am
Do you want to make it FWD or RWD!

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 9:27am
True, in that case he doesn't need to do anything to make it a "2WD" car.

wrxnz1, Aug 9, 9:36am
dyln i dont know if its the same for a galant but in a wrx you just have to weld somthing to make it rwd my m8 has done it to a few he is a mechanic think he said you weld a nugget! or somthing and if you want to make it 4wd again the part cost around 300 forreplacement part

hopefully there will be someone that can explain better than i can instead of all the fools that dont want to help you

carkitter, Aug 9, 9:51am
All these posts and no-one suggested fitting a FWD gearbox!

I have a mate who used to have a Mazda 323 DOHC turbo in FWD. It weighed around 900kgs while the AWD version weighed 1200kgs. To give the two models similar performance Mazda put short gearing in the AWD and tall gearing in the FWD. Second gear in the FWD model my mate had would reach 110km/h. Up the horsepower to overcome the gearing and you have a great drag car.

Find the right FWD gearbox and final drive ratio and you'll get significantly better performance from your project due to the weight reduction. Sort the suspension out properly and it'll handle better too.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 8:46pm
LOL & so true.
Ok heres thetruth .
On the suggested mod & to get good reliability, you have several possible problems
If wanting to convert to Rwd, the problem is finding a suitable gearbox because the engine is normally a sideways fitment in the engine bay which would automaticly remove normal inline Rwd gearbox's

If wanting to stay with Fwd, then the problem is not in finding a suitable gearbox, but in finding 1 strong enough to withstand the total amount of power that WAS previously split between 2 diff's.

The same strength issue will apply to modding the Awd gearbox to a Rwd/Fwd plus upsetting any computers fitted & speedo ratios on that vehicle

mrfxit, Aug 9, 8:55pm
As carkitter suggested, finding the right fwd box would be the best & simplist bet.
Add to that, you can swap over the factory rear axle setup as well & avoid a heap of trouble when it comes to getting it certed.

Pro's on the cert are factory fitted parts including .
Body strength/engine size & mounts / front suspension/ brakesetc etc.

The gearbox swap "it's self" is not a cert issue, but the rear suspension mods are & that would leave you some $$$$ for more serious mods to add to the cert