Commodore SV8

jamstew, Aug 7, 10:50am
Looking at getting one of these as a weekend toy, not worried about fuel consumption, but are they reliable as they get up in the K's! any general information would be good. looking (in the long term, just putting feelers out now) to spend around 10-12 k on one, so not looking new, perhaps 02-05 or whatever i can get. Much appreciated!

petal_91, Aug 7, 11:14am
Why not get an SS! With an SV8 you miss out on a lot of good stuff like an aerodynamic body kit, quality interior trim, better headlights, etc. I guess an SV8 will be lighter though, so slightly faster.

whqqsh, Aug 7, 5:22pm
I have always wondered why an 'SS' was slowed down by so much guff. A true 'sports' version should be eliminating weight, not adding to it so mum is more comfy dropping the kids off. Even funnier the Calais has often come out with a more powerful motor than the SS (but is weighed down even further lol), just shows its all badge marketing rather than building a better car

ksam, Aug 7, 6:56pm
Don't you buy a Calais for all the little luxury bits, rather than 0-60! I'm a bit with petal_91, I wouldn't think you'd pick up a difference in power between SV8 and SS (if any), but slightly nicer appointed. We had the VXSS and loved it, then updated and didn't like the VY so much, but hey, it's really what you like. BTW in answer to your question, no problems at all, and we did about a 100k in it (to a total of around 160ks).

jkm, Aug 7, 7:14pm
What was it you didnt like about the VY! Was it just the styling or was the ride quality different!

In answer to the OP, lots of the SS models have been well loved, so if you get a well serviced model they should be good for high ks ( plenty on here you can see have done up in to the 300,000 km

ksam, Aug 8, 2:25am
Really just the styling, I sort of prefer the slightly clumsy buttons etc on the VX, don't get me wrong, still liked the VY, but have gone back to a VX Clubsport, which I love.

whqqsh, Aug 8, 3:53am
exactly, so why have a more powerful motor in the 'luxury' model & leave precious horses out of the so called 'SS' equation, BTW the only reason many wouldnt notice the difference between the two 'sport models' is again the softness & lack of sensation tuned out of it for mummy & kiddies

ksam, Aug 8, 4:01am
Fair point

doctor_evil99, Aug 8, 4:11am
x1
Get a WRX for better performance, handling and ride than a SS-V8
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cars/news/article.cfm!c_id=142&objectid=10824173

whqqsh, Aug 8, 4:15am
Id rather poke myself in the eye with a fork. but then all the more WRXs for you so everyones happy

robotnik, Aug 8, 4:20am
You can't fit 5 full grown adults comfortably and safely tow a very heavy trailer with a WRX though can you!

doctor_evil99, Aug 8, 4:22am
You're right you can only fit 5 teenagers wearing their caps backward in a WRX.Still it's a good midlife crisis car! blow the snot out of those rotary RXs

kingfisher21, Aug 8, 5:42am
Early LS1 powered Holdens had a few oil consumption issues but that was well sorted by the time the VY came along, as above, I looked around before buying my one and chose the VY2 SS, much more soilidly feeling than a VX, don't know why, and VY2 has the all black interior including the headlining, they will do big k's before any problems, but like anything, depends on maintainence, hey, buy my one, it's on here for sale, love it as much as I do I just have too many cars.

jkm, Aug 8, 5:47am
When Holden went to the 5.7 Chev motor they detuned majorly. intially factory tuned at 225KW easy to get 285KW with extractors, cold air intake and retune. Can get even more if you want to spend some coin.
Guess Holden figured the average joe wasnt ready for the power.

jamstew, Aug 8, 6:02am
Own a wrx at the moment, have owed a great deal of subarus over the last few years but after something a bit more reliable. i am not a harsh driver by any means, and the wrxs do go well, but getting sick of waiting for the big ends to go, and you can say what you will, but subarus do break. decided i would rather go for the displacement and lazy power over a 2 litre with a hairdryer. Would be keen to do the retune and things down the line, and thats good stuff to know. all of this is much appreciated lads, coming from a young fella who has never owned a v8, and doesnt really know anything about holders (but have had a wrx or two that would blow the doors off a standard v8. on the track of course.) Kingfisher mate your car looks grand, but a bit out of my price range unfortunately!