MY NISSAN PULSAR N14

kelliedyke, Aug 8, 5:39am
hey i have a 1.6 litre nissan pulsar n14 hatch,
was wondering if anyone would help me out getting a turbo installed!
a mechanic told me i may need custom made stuff made up and i need help.
i live in christchurch (: cheers guys

mugenb20b, Aug 8, 5:42am
No, I can't help, sorry. But, you will need a stronger clutch, gearbox, axles, brakes (maybe), larger radiator, larger fuel pump and injectors (hopefully it's efi), reprogrammed ecu, etc.

kelliedyke, Aug 8, 5:43am
bugger it ae.turbos such a big job man! lol. might be best if i just buy a car with one installed ./!

mugenb20b, Aug 8, 6:01am
It's less trouble if you just buy a turbo car, yes.
ETA, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but be prepared to spend lots of money.

andrea_w, Aug 8, 6:06am
Save your money. it's a LOT more complicated than just bolting a turbo to the engine.
You'll need to factor in fabrication work, new clutch, diff, brakes, cooling system, fueling (bigger pump AND injectors), suspension and even wider wheels. plus you'll need a standalone ECU (if they are even available for that engine) as I doubt there are any chips available for your standard ECU to run a turbo. There is bound to be more, that's just off the top of my head.

fordcrzy, Aug 8, 6:57am
get a used wrx urbo. get a custom "weld el" manifold made up and exhaust.
buy some bigger injectors(at least 360cc) anf fuel it all with an Emanage Blue piggy back or even a megasquirt ecu.

morrisman1, Aug 8, 6:59am
You could just put a SR20DET in, me much better value for money. Yes the GA16DE responds well to a hairdryer but really, with the abundance of SR stuff here I wouldn't bother.

Budget a couple grand minimum for a turbo GA, budget maybe $1500 for a turbo SR

You might get away with stock gearbox for a while but dont expect it to last forever and there arent really any bolt on options for that engine. Brakes, just put GTiR ones on or if you are anticipating getting the brakes hot then n16 hubs and skyline 4-pots are an option. Cooling you are stuck with what you have unless you go custom, Its a pretty good radiator so dont worry much about that. ECU apparently will handle up to around 6psi boost but a link is a good option there. SR20DE computer can be daugherboarded and has the same plug on it from memory so thats an option. Fuel pump is fine unless you make mega power.

All in all, just do a turbo SR, or what I did - SR20VE. That way you make more power than you would with a turbo GA and have excellent reliability.

fordcrzy, Aug 8, 7:31am
the N14 uses a delco computer so you can get tuning software for them.
still if you keep the boost sane you could get away with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator

morrisman1, Aug 8, 7:32am
and/or sr20de injectors.