Looking to buy a d22 nissan navara 4x4. advice

zane, Aug 7, 3:52am
hey ya,
looking to buy a d22 navara 4x4 double cab i have around 15k to spend and have been looking at 2002 to 2005 d22 with the 3lt engine. after googling the navara it seems that the 3lt engine in these can play up. one person called them "grenades" as the have a habit of blowing up!
I see they still make the d22 navaras but now are fitted with a 2.5lt motor, and for a few more $ they will be in my price range, spotted a 2010 for 18k.
any advice would be great cheers guys! Zane

mugenb20b, Aug 7, 5:39am
In my experience, the engines start to give trouble around a 200 000kms mark. The 2.5 suffers from (amongst other faults) timing chain stretch which causes the to engine stall, bring the engine check light on, hard to start or not start at all. I can't comment about the 3 litre, but if it's anything like the early ZD30 then best to avoid imo. If you must have the D22, get the one with a good ole' fashioned, gutless, noisy bulletproof TD27 diesel.

net_oz, Aug 7, 7:40am
Have a good look through this site for your answers. Heeps of good info there. http://www.navara.asia/forum.php

zane, Aug 7, 6:43pm
hey thanks guys, great advice. i like the navara d22 as it seems good value for a double cab 4x4. but i also like the bounty/courier and rodeo as they are in the same price bracket. maybe i need to drive all three before making my mind up. cheers

steelman3, Aug 7, 6:48pm
never know what these type do to their cars to have so much trouble, ive been driving the same Nissan ute 15 years and its been faultless, brought another faultless also. Good for around 500000 k easy.

mugenb20b, Aug 8, 12:20am
Yeah, go for the Bounty, but look after the cooling system. Get its radiator rodded out every 2 to 3 years and don't use silicone based antifreeze.

steelman3, Aug 11, 5:57am
Some people are just born losers everything they touch breaks down

hyphen, Aug 11, 6:09am
yeah, it's called 'destruction-learning'-
, like when you give a 2 year old a cheap plastic model car, truck or whatever, and the child immediately proceeds with an irrational destruction and popping the wheels off, then sits there howling when it all won't go back together again.